1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

driveway culvert.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
      What was it that he hit about 2 seconds before the car stopped.? That was the big damage.
      Gravel driveway where the drain is for the ditch, or slightly to the right of it.

Anyway, the core support definitely took most of the damage and tweaked the fender from all the twisting at the bottom. If the frame has a tweak, it's on the driver side and is minimal from what I could see today. Present plan is to repair unless I catch something worse during the tear down. Expectations are that it will likely need the driver side frame horn adjusted slightly, but I could not find any kinking in the frame, so it may only have a slight bend.

I've already telephoned Nick, he'll be looking to source replacement air bags and possibly the whole dash. The passenger airbag created some small cracks in the dash pad around the door, and while everything is still functional, it's not perfect, so the whole thing might be replaced.

A good friend of mine has offered some working space, contingent on the completion to be done before Spring Break here, per his wife. Once everything is straightened, aligned, and replaced, I'll send it to Columbia, SC for paint and minor PDR.

Anyway, that's the current plan. Obviously there's still a chance of finding something that results in perma-death, but I'll try to keep a slightly positive attitude about it.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

These vehicles are pretty stout. I mean, the police would drive the cop car the same to go after a perp then send it to the body shop. Panthers are the timex watch of cars.
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
          These vehicles are pretty stout. I mean, the police would drive the cop car the same to go after a perp then send it to the body shop. Panthers are the timex watch of cars.
          I wouldn't disagree. Patrol vehicles see all sorts of shit; I've put a few back together at work after some misadventures. I've kinda wondered if it was a lower slung car if it would have ramped the way it did or just smashed into that driveway.

My Cars:
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Things that aren't properly straight...

...this.

Fast/rough estimates are about 1" high and 3/4" backwards.

Passenger side:

Driver side:

Core support:

Anyway, that's where I'm at right now. Partial tear down to see things better. Header panel has a minor crack under the headlight area and a noticeable one where the grille should be. I've reached out to Nick about it since I'm not sure who has a frame rack down here. I still cannot find any kinks or cracks in the frame, but it's definitely bent enough to warrant needing straightening before anything starts being replaced. If it's determined to be compromised beyond repair, then I guess we will arrive at the final chapter.

My Cars:

Comment

Do whatever you can to save it (within economic reason)!
              What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
              What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Working...
              X