No announcement yet.

Saved from the Demo Derby: 1990 Country Squire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely watching this for the end result.

If you're considering on coming back to the wood grain, what's the plans for dressing up the trim surrounds?

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
      Definitely watching this for the end result.

If you're considering on coming back to the wood grain, what's the plans for dressing up the trim surrounds?
      First thought was a tan paint. Second was the possibility of a vinyl wrap company to see what they can do with it. Other thoughts include a hand painted woodgrain effect similar to what they did on 30's cars interior trim. I've done some but would need to practice more. I'm concerned the different pieces might shade differently. A Facebook group member mentioned hydrographic film. Haven't looked into that at all but it is apparently an option.

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post

I hope so. It's much easier to go steel side but the wood grain is something I really like.
      When you get to that stage, I'd be interested in how you go about making it happen (vinyl wrap, supplier, etc.) in case I actually get to the same point someday.
      I'm 80% planning on putting the woodgrain back. The other option would be a two tone, probably in burgundy to match the guts (on the original white). The trim staying for sure - likely polished aluminum if tutone. But that's all just an idea. I don't mind woodgrain. If I get it done and don't like the car, I can always sell it for a steelside car. The woodgrain certainly adds something unique.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Ford's white paint was single stage. It also seems very prone to chips, not sure if that is related.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Pondering about making a weekly update to this thread. Don't hold me to it.

Rubber wheel arrived. Woodgrain removal progressing faster now. Notes for anyone that cares: if woodgrain is good, park the car in the sun and get a heat gun and it comes off easily. If the woodgrain is bad, get the rubber wheel. I think it is going to take three to do one side.

Took some more trim off. Have progressed a bit more since these pics but will save that for next weeks update.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5982.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	1397230 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5981.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	1397231

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Where the woodgrain was cracked and exposing the paint underneath to the elements, is that just dirt lines or is it actually deeply etched from that?

My Cars:
            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
              Where the woodgrain was cracked and exposing the paint underneath to the elements, is that just dirt lines or is it actually deeply etched from that?
              Not 100% sure yet. I think it's hardened glue and dirt. I have some glue remover to use yet: I'll update once I try some of that. If it is into the paint, it's not very deep.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Rubber wheels are so damn handy. I have used them a number of times but never to the extant you are going to be but have found they lasted more than I would have thought.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                X