No announcement yet.

My '05 MGM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So next week was more like 2 weeks. I replaced the fuel injector connector yesterday afternoon. Looks like the green wire terminal was burning. Don't know if it's because of the elbowing or if it had been like that. When I finally get around to installing the electric cutout, I will pull the rest of the fuel injector connectors and check the condition of their terminals.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1882.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	1389418

Comment

Finally got my GT500 rotors last Friday. Had been on backorder for 2 mos. They fit up against the Moog hub/bearing with no problem. I took some time off a couple weeks from now for the big brake install. Hopefully it isn't too bad. Couldn't come sooner though; my driver side hub is trashed.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1890.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	1389871

Comment

I made attempt# 1 at installing these. Pulled the driver side caliper and caliper bracket off in one-piece. Used the puller to get the rotor off as it's very tight. With all of that out of the way, I made an attempt to remove the wheel bearing, which is also bad. Like the idler pulley, I can feel it rotating when I spin it. Spent an hour and a half tapping and pulling on it (short stud and a coupler nut). Went on YouTube and discovered that I need to cut a wheel stud off and use a bolt and nut to do what I was trying to do. Then I saw the worse case scenario of pulling the spindle off and pressing the wheel hub/bearing off. That wasn't happening; as I would end up bringing my car to the mechanic anyways to do that. Might as well have them change out the wheel hub/bearing themselves. That was Thursday afternoon.

Friday rolls by with a T-storm in the morning to make the driveway nice and wet for this work. I get out there in the afternoon and re-tighten the hub/bearing bolts and start assembling the big-brake bracket. Unfortunately, the bracket was unfinished, and I had to file it down a bit to get it to semi-fit. By the time I figured that out, another T-storm rolled through. I went in and ate a late lunch and fell asleep. Woke up to sun. I was told that the T-storm didn't last too long and it had been sunny for a hour as I slept. So I ran out and played with the bracket some more. This lasted 45 minutes before another T-storm rolled through. In that time, I filed the casting flash off the spindle flange to get the bracket to fit.

More rain early this morning made the driveway more wet. I had some engagements this morning anyways, so I waited until the early afternoon to mess with this a little more. I mounted the GT500 rotor and caliper. Discovered that the caliper was hitting the spindle in the same area where its bracket was hitting. I took everything off and put it back together about a half dozen times to file it down for fitment. When I finally got the caliper mounted clean, the rotor was locked against the caliper on the piston side when everything was tightened down. I started shimming with thin washers and pushed it away a little, but still had contact. And that is where it ended as 2 T-storms rolled through. At this point, I am giving up and putting the old stuff back on; and hope it lasts another week or two. I'll see if I can source replacement calipers as the stock driver side is not wanting to back out when I lift the brake pedal.

If I had 1 dry day, I could have figured this out. I know/knew going into this that it wouldn't be a bolt up and go deal; as most projects tend to not be. This time the freakin weather was killing me. They do look good mounted up; just not happening this time :-/

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1897.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.85 MB ID:	1390151Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1895.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.07 MB ID:	1390152Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1893.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.44 MB ID:	1390153

Comment

I had the front wheel/hub bearings changed out last week. Got the car back a couple days ago. It drives differently. I no longer get the bump steer that I had thought was the rear wheels hopping off the ground when I hit bumps. Apparently it was the front wheels doing that. The steering is tighter and the car rolls easier; or at least it doesn't take much effort to push the car. I didn't think my old hubs were that bad. Now I just need to get back on the big brake upgrade.

Comment

Working...
          X