No announcement yet.

Monty's 1989 CV LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pressure washed the timing cover and lower intake. Shiny new water pump. Pic of threads cut on the longer stud to show comparison.
    Attached Files

Comment

Cleaned up the gasket surfaces. Lower intake gaskets really put up a fight, but I soaked them in Deep Creep and the mess came off a little easier.

Valve covers had a lot of grime on the outside, so I soaked them in a 5 gal. bucket with a mix of 1 gal. Purple Power and 2 gal. water. 15 minutes did the trick. Waiting for them to dry so I can scuff and paint them. Would have left them alone, but there's enough rust on them to justify a repaint.

Comment

I like dat dere Rustang in your profile pic, nice lines.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
          I like dat dere Rustang in your profile pic, nice lines.
          Thank you. Haven't driven it much this year, so it's been keeping the '89 company in the garage.

Soaked some more parts along with the lower intake. Installed new o-rings and caps on the injectors. I would have changed out the filters, but the filters in the kit are too short. Painted a couple more brackets. Trying not to get stuck on all the little stuff, but it takes so much time to get it all done.
          Attached Files

Comment

Valve covers look like new. Nice work. Its best taking your time. More enjoyable in the longs run.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

What David said. Yes, the little things seem to take the most time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Lookin good montey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

Thanks, fellas. Should be about ready for assembly, unless I'm forgetting something. Have to pick up an Air Charge Temperature Sensor tomorrow, then I should have everything.

Comment

A few things put back together.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by monterey1962; 10-02-2016, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Got the motor buttoned up and running. Set timing at 10* with spout connector removed, but can't get the car to run right. Have a nasty popping sound coming from the exhaust and high idle. Before starting, I did an oil change and new fuel filter. The fuel tank should have had a few gallons of old gas, but I added 4 gallons of fresh fuel before running. I am getting some smoke out of the oil filler tube, too.

Any thoughts on the popping sound and high idle? Link to video of exhaust sounds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G2SbhxrxwA

Comment

possible vacuum leak, TPS issue, ECT issue. Definitely check sensor functions and make sure they are actually working and there's no big vacuum leaks.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

pops might be unburnt fuel in the exhaust lighting off. Vacuum leaks tend to make things run rich.

High idle is usually vacuum related, but could be a stuck IAC or some problem with the TPS.

Dumb question but the firing order is correct? Is #1 going to the #1 spot on the distributor? They run funny if the wires are in the wrong location, even if the firing order is correct. The ECM wants #1 to be where it is.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'll check for vacuum leaks. ECT and ACT sensors are new.

I didn't have a chance to get coolant run through the system. Maybe this is causing issue with ECT readings? Wasn't sure if I should let the car run longer than I already had (about 3 minutes total run time, not constant).

Before removing the distributor, I had set everything at TDC and marked the cap/rotor and distributor locations. Will double check the firing order.

Comment

No coolant at all in there? If its got some it should read. If its bone dry the ECT will read low, which makes it run rich.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oops ... Forgot to connect a vacuum line under the front of the lower intake. Burped the cooling system. Runs good ... for a 150K mile engine. Need to tweak the timing a bit, yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X