Monty's 1989 CV LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would do it. Big vacuum leak.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

This is such a great-looking car. You're basically doing what I want to do with mine: restoring it back to a like-new factory condition. Mine will need a paint job some day and I'm mulling the idea of a color change; whatever I go with will have to work with the blue interior since I have no plans to change that.

Keep up the good work! Looking sharp!
      —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
      1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
      1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Removed the old windshield, today. Have had the new one on hand for four years, just never installed it. Turns out, four year old sealant doesn't come out of the tube too well. I'll pick some new stuff up tomorrow and finish it.

Comment

New windshield is in. Broke 3 caulking guns laying the urethane. Cheap junk. Just hope I did it right and the work lasts.

Comment

Majority of the car has been wet sanded with 400 grit. I'll have to go over it again and check edges and corners for any issues. Tops of the doors around the windows aren't done, yet. Not sure what I'm going to do with the door jambs. Suppose I could put the hood back on, so that is out of my way. Definitely need to spray Primer Sealer. Sanded through the primer in a few spots. Otherwise, it's straight and getting a little closer to paint.
            Attached Files

Comment

If you are going with a metallic paint I would go over the car with 600 before spraying. The metallics could settle in the scratches left by the 400.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Going with the original color "Light Titanium Pearl Metallic", so it looks like I get to do more sanding.

Put the hood back on last night. So much work to do, yet.

Comment

God, I spent hours aligning both fenders and then that damn hood on Ashley's Mark VII and it's still not right. What PITA. There has to be an easier way though.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Trick I used for the hood: Bolt the hood to the hinges, but keep the bolts just a bit loose. Then close the hood all the way. The latch lined it up almost spot on. Then, I popped the hood, raised it just enough to reach the hinge bolts, and tightened them. I never removed the fenders, though. I can see that being a real headache to align them.

Comment

That's how I did it but the hood doesn't want move much, and when it does, it's then grossly over to one side or the angles are off. Now it's good, but needs to come forward more but at this point, you can shut the thing and the lines are even with the fenders so going to wait awhile before I mess with it again haha.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Finished up going over the car with 600 grit and cleaned it up.

Comment

Paint booth is coming together. Built the framing and got the plastic up. Need to seal it up tight, yet. Picked up filters and fans tonight.
                          Attached Files

Comment

A little more progress.
                            Attached Files

Comment

So cool!

Must be exciting.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Car is painted and cleared. More info to come.

Comment

Working...
                                X