The Merc v2.0(??)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Merc v2.0(??)

Sorry, I have not been active on this site in quite some time, had health issues most of 2015, took care of that and picked up a full time job for the first time in awhile, so I haven't had much internet time. Not really a whole lot has changed, except for the ever increasing rot on my '97. Last fall it started clunking, turned out the rear sway bar mount had rotted off the frame which was the wake-up call I needed to start seriously looking for its replacement. Once I was out of the hospital, I started scoping every place I could think of to find a new Panther. My criteria was: low mileage, Aero, HPP or Signature Touring, possibly another Cartier, and most importantly, NO RUST!!!.

Aeros are getting scarce around here, and rust free ones are always overpriced especially Town Cars. I was not opposed to a CV/GMQ, but if I got one I wanted an early one before the decontenting got serious, again, preferably an Aero. Well, I looked at a lot of cars over probably 6 months, nothing worth shelling out cash for, or at least not as much cash as the sellers wanted. My favorite was a '99 Signature that I walked away from when they wouldn't even come down $500 only to have them call me a week later and offer it too me for $1500 less than their original price.

Then one day while on a delivery for work, I see something intriguing at a small used car lot that I HAD to stop and look at, even in the company car. It was a Green '98 GMQ on HPP wheels with no visible rust. That's many many checkboxes on my list, it being green makes up for it not being an Aero cuz I have a soft spot for green cars.. After work I went and looked at it more closely, only 87k miles, and they wanted $3200. Next day I had off, I went up and talked to them, the salesman was quite nice and didn't try and push me at all, and explained that they specialize in selling rust free cars and bring many from out-of-state. Off the top of his head he said this GMQ was from Kentucky. Cool. Take it for a test drive and boy was it a disappointment. It drove horribly. But there were no funny noises and nothing that screamed RUN AWAY!!. I stopped in a parking lot about a mile from the dealer to do the usual look over of fluids and whatnot, and suddenly there's a little mexican guy beside me, he offered to let me pull the car into his oil change shop next door and pull it over the pit to look under it. HELL YEAH!! I'll certainly take him up on that offer. There was barely a spec of rust anywhere on the frame tho oddly both front control arms were covered in surface rust, but most importantly it had new tie rods and other new parts including a new intake manifold, so why did it drive so badly? All 4 shocks were hopelessly blown and covered in oil, and the front sway bar links were gone. I don't mean broken, I mean someone had removed them from the car so the sway bar was just hanging there. Verified the 3.27 axle and factory dual exhaust and Black/Black rear air springs (HPP bags have black top and bottom cone, regular GMQ bags have a black top and white bottom cone), its a true HPP. Unfortunately, it was owned by a heavy smoker, so the interior isn't in great shape though the dealer did a great job of cleaning it. The seats are also very worn leading me to think the owner(s) were ahem..heavier. It had signs of life in the sun, the chrome side molding is delaminating badly and the headlights were foggy.

Go back to the dealer, do the dance, ended up taking it home for $2400 out the door, tax, title, everything. So the car its self was only about $2100. Best part is, I had sway bar links in the garage so I had it handling 10x better within an hour of getting it home. New shocks, KYB Gas-A-Justs of course, and its like a totally different car all for less than $150 in parts. It did have a slight misfire on the test drive that went away only to reappear a month later, and it threw codes for 4 different cylinders at 4 different times without changing anything, so I splurged and bought 8 fresh COPs for it and it runs fantastic. It actually feels like it has the extra power Ford says it should over my Aeros. I purchased a pair of nearly NOS headlights from a member on CVN for a good price, and he threw in a factory service manual as well, WIN. Headlights got a projector retrofit like my Town Car because even with clean housings Whale headlights suck.

Upon research, it turns out the car lived in AZ from new until 2010, and it was sold and moved to southern IL from then until my dealer brought it to MI. I signed a IL title when I bought it. Unfortunately, it went from 70* and sunny to suddenly winter a few weeks ago, so work has been halted and the '97 pressed back into service as my DD so my new southern car can escape the salt. I only have one set of photos of it, taken a few days after I got it and before I had a chance to really clean it up, but, it looks pretty much the same.

Enough of my rambling, on to the pics:

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP
    87,700 miles as-purchased. Dark Green Satin Metallic, Parchment interior.

-Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Great find. Love a clean HPP. Was going to be my next choice if I couldn't find a Marauder or LX Sport. Throw some tint on the windows and rock it.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

A very nice car. May it serve you well for years to come.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Love the green. Good luck with it.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Looks great. Drive the Town Car till it breaks in half, then oil undercoat the shit out of this, or buy another winter beater.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

It looks awesome!
            And welcome back! I hope your health issues are far behind you now.

-ryan s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Thanks guys. This car really does drive nice. It is not as clean as my '96 was, but it is a million times cleaner than the Town Car. There is only 1 spot of visible rust on this car, a spot on the drivers front fender lip that is about the size of a quarter. Someone sprayed it with sort of matching green paint, which has slowed the spread. It also has a few spots of bird damage on the roof. That and the not-so-great interior, which really just needs further cleaning, a headliner, and some seats.

I bought this car literally 3 days after changing the blend door actuator in the Town Car. So what was broken in this car? Yep. BDA. So I have done 3 blend door actuators in the past year, 2 in the town car and one in the HPP. Do Not!! buy a Dorman blend door actuator, the first one that I put in the Town Car was dead out of the box, glad I tested before putting the dash back together. That should have been a sign of things to come I guess. I swapped that one for another Dorman, which lasted all of 7 months before going CLICK CLICK CLICK. Replaced it with one from the dealer, and, man, does it work so much better than the Dorman one ever did, I think the Ddorman was sticking long before it finally broke. So the HPP got a Ford BDA and hopefully I won't have to change it again.
              -Steve

1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..

Comment

That MGM is beautiful!!!

Has more options than my '05 MGM; or at least the dash has more stuff than mine.

Comment

What's the price difference between the Dorman and Ford BDA?
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                    What's the price difference between the Dorman and Ford BDA?
                    The Dorman one was $35, Ford dealer wanted $90 and would have had to order it. When the first one died it was late-October 2015, the weather was getting ready to get cold for the foreseeable future. I had one day to get it done, a Saturday, and the dealer couldn't get me one that day so I took what I could get. I mean, it fit fine and it did work, well, the 2nd Dorman one worked. It started clicking in early June 2016 but continued working and I kind of ignored it till the weather cooled some. Upon autopsy, the Dorman BDA is really poorly made compared to the Ford part, Ford uses metal pins molded into the casing for the gears to rotate on, the Dorman was all plastic and had worn so that the gears wouldn't always mesh properly which explains why it would still work even though it would click. I went to my normal dealer and the parts guy gave me a discount on the Ford BDA I put in the Lincoln, it ended up being $78.

Having time to plan ahead I ordered the Motorcraft BDA for the '98 online for $50. The CV and GMQ use a different BDA than the Town Car even though I'm not really sure what exactly is different. Its a different part number for an identical looking part and the Lincoln part is '95-'97 specific and more expensive.
                    -Steve

Comment

That is a beautiful looking Marq. Nice find and rust free is so important for up there.
                      -Nick M.
                      Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                      03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

This car has come back out of hibernation. The Town Car is making a hell of a racket from the front end and the winter was fairly mild so the HPP was actually driven a fair bit thru the winter. No salt tho.

A few weeks ago, I picked up a rather large piece of metal in the right rear tire after a wind storm. The tire was mostly bald and badly dryrotten so there wasn't any point in trying to patch it. Grabbed the full size spare out of the Lincoln and headed to go get tires. On the way there, it felt like I had another tire going down, something didn't feel right, so I pulled over. Everything was visibly fine. WTF. Another mile up the road and I could smell the problem, definitely the brakes, at the next stop light there was smoke pouring out of the left front wheel. Caliper seized. Get to the tire place and they were lined up and couldn't get me in that day anyway, so a colossal waste of time was had. Drove to the nearest parts store, they had the right front in stock but not the left, go figure, so I drove 25 miles home with the smoking brakes. The wheel was BLACK by time I got home, rotor had turned blue, etc. Got a new caliper and 2 new rotors and pads. Upon inspection I remembered that this car had original rotors on it still, I wouldn't have been able to do a roadside repair anyway with the rotors still riveted to the hubs.

A few days later I had a more successful trip to get my tires. BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport, their new Grand Touring option. I like them, and they were priced right at a bit over $400 installed. Its a night and day difference, its like a totally different car with some new shoes.

A few days ago I tackled the rear axle service. Nothing difficult or unexpected, I just hate the smell of gear oil. The good news is that the diff was full, the bad news is I'm not exactly sure what it was full of.. It was all frothy and smelled absolutely awful. The gears and everything were in great shape, confirmed yet another odd fact about this car. The door tag has the code for a 3.27 trac-lock axle. The diff tag and internals verify its a 3.27 open diff. The date code on the axle tag is 3 days before the car was built, so there is little chance the axle has been replaced, so it must have left STAP with an incorrect door tag. Weird.

I need to clean the car up and give it a fresh coat of wax. Then I can photograph it again, I've made several visual changes to the car since I bought it. Mostly just been focusing on the neglected mechanicals of the car, but its finally running and driving like it should.
                        Last edited by BigMerc96; 04-10-2017, 01:29 PM.
                        -Steve

Comment

I haven't done a whole lot to this thing. It has just been my reliable daily driver. I replaced the totally wasted idler arm which made a nice improvement to the steering feel. Also had some Magnaflows installed in place of the stock mufflers. New MAF fixed some of the "numb" feel to the engine response but its still not 100% where I expect it to be, at least its not pinging anymore. Now its starting to make front end noises, so, I'll be doing upper control arms and lower ball joints then getting it aligned. Then everything up there will be new except the pitman arm as it already had 4 new tie rods when I bought it. I got a smoking deal on a new AGM battery for it, so while the old battery tested fine, I replaced it. Really, I couldn't be happier with it, its proven to be as reliable as I'd hoped and hasn't thrown me any "curve balls" yet.

Also, Photobucket can go fuck themselves. They have trashed any and all pictures I've posted on any forum. Slowly working on rehosting them on another host.
                          -Steve

Comment

Working...
                          X