Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sly
    replied
    Shot of the throw from my dashcam. Same pattern as the halogens, but more solid light output. It's about 5000K color rather than the about 3500K of the halogens. I refuse to use a color higher than that.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	driving.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1290074

Leave a comment:

• friskyfrankie
    replied
    Thanks for answering all my question on this!

Leave a comment:

• sly
    replied
    Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
    Have a few questions pertaining to these lights. Are they US legal (seems to be some question on this)? Any FM interference? Do they fit exactly into the stock headlight assemblies? Can you sue the OEM switch to go from low to high beams and does hi beam stay on without holding the switch? Will post more if I think of anything else.
    US legal - yes (light output is proper), at least in Texas. The housings are regulated more than the bulbs. At least around here, nobody cares as long as the pattern is good and the intensity is not stupid bright. I have not checked the exact legal statutes though. I would not call them HID level bright, but they are probably around silverstar brightness.
    RF interference - no
    Fit exactly - yes
    Ues OEM switches - yes (with the load caveat mentioned on the high beams for my expedition for the fogs to work right - only an issue with vehicles that have stock fog lights that are disabled with the high beams on)
    Need to hold switch for high beams - no

Obviously this is on an older vehicle that doesn't have CAN monitoring and only needs loads for ground referencing for the flasher circuit or fog lights. Other vehicles may require different mods. Not sure what whales would need (if anything) different from what I've done to the Expedition.
    Last edited by sly; 03-18-2022, 07:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GM_Guy
    replied
    Pulled the trigger on a set of the x1 9007's, price was right on Amazon Canada and the submitted photos with beam spread on the road looked better than most.

Leave a comment:

• friskyfrankie
    replied
    Have a few questions pertaining to these lights. Are they US legal (seems to be some question on this)? Any FM interference? Do they fit exactly into the stock headlight assemblies? Can you sue the OEM switch to go from low to high beams and does hi beam stay on without holding the switch? Will post more if I think of anything else.

Leave a comment:

• sly
    replied
    I didn't adjust anything. I found LEDs that are made correctly with the chips in the filament position and they lock into place in a side fire setup. Most of the current generation are setup that way though. I haven't driven it at night yet, but from what I can see in my driveway, it's the exact same spread as the halogens, but just a little brighter and 5K instead of 3500K color. The color also helps signs "pop" more at night as I've been using that on my 93 for a long time now. Same story on the 93. Absolutely plug and play on that one. No loads needed for LCM shenanigans. They are NOT blue. I know some folks with those 9000K bulbs and those are absolutely crap. Can't see much of anything.

If anyone cares, this is the set I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K43XKDF/
    The same set was used for the Expedition and the 93. I have not done such shenanigans with my wife's 2000 though. It does apear that Sealight makes good stuff. The other lights (parking/signal/brakes/reverse) I used Auxito branded sets. Resistor loads on the tail lights (one per side for the no flash issue on the vic) on both and front blinkers as well on the Expedition (because of the fast flash issue - though I found out yesterday that the flasher relays can be changed and no resistors are required).

Leave a comment:

• FordMan77
    replied
    How's the light spread using the LED's in the stock housings?

Those look great btw. Cutoff is perfect. I'm glad someone on this planet knows how to properly adjust their headlights.

Leave a comment:

• sly
    replied
    Expedition LED conversion complete. High beams needed a load to keep proper fog light usage due to the weird wiring Ford used with that to save one wire run. First pic is low beams and fogs. Second is high beams which disables fogs. Then low beam cutoff which is proper and then the high beam cutoff. I can say for sure this will not be any more blinding to oncoming drivers than the halogens were. The angle of the cutoff is downward as it should be (lines up with the way the halogens were angled).

Name:	low beams and fogs_S.jpg
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1290046 Click image for larger version

Name:	high beams fogs disabled_S.jpg
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1290047 Click image for larger version

Name:	low beam cutoff_S.jpg
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1290048 Click image for larger version

Name:	high beam cutoff_S.jpg
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	1290049

Leave a comment:

• sly
    replied
    They do have small spider cracks across them, but they're still solid, so I'm gonna run with it. Will probably have to get new housings the next time they need sanding.

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    Crystal clear.

Leave a comment:

• sly
    replied
    Resorted the headlights. Did not get a before pic. Check out previous pics in this thread for an idea. They weren't real yellowed, but you can actually see through them now.

Name:	Headlights_polished.jpg
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1290045

Leave a comment:

• sly
    replied
    Subwoofer model panel installed.

Name:	Done.jpg
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	1284587

Leave a comment:

• sly
    replied
    Filled the gap...

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	1284302

Leave a comment:

• sly
    replied
    yeah... no plans to check out the hitching ease of use any time soon, but using the beast this weekend for a trip so I'll have some backing up to do for sure from time to time.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    I was going to do the mirror thing in the truck my mom used to have, but she traded it on something with a factory camera. Makes hitching a trailer a piece of cake.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X