Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric62
    replied
    When I bought this thing, I did not bother to check the heater ... and of course it does not seem to work. The fan works somewhat, but no heat... normally I would think an open stuck thermostat, but since I have been randomly reading posts here it seems these cars have a vacuum operated contraption (that seems overly complex lol) that goes bad. What would be the first thing you would check?
    I might need to make a run up to MI soon, so heat moved up on my list of priorities.
    Thanks in advance
    Eric

Leave a comment:

• Eric62
    replied
    Originally posted by jaywish View Post
    Like that "eye brow" roofline
    I do as well... I'm not that fond of the side view roof line so I might attempt a chop when I am more confident in my metal shaping skills. Not planning on a show car... I like the "patina" it has now.

Leave a comment:

• Eric62
    replied
    Originally posted by slack View Post
    Have you checked out cold war motors on YouTube? He basically did a junk yard Kaiser restore. Really cool cars.
    I did see that... I believe it was the earlier kaiser, but I still enjoyed it although there vids move a little slow... but then again so do I.

Leave a comment:

• slack
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric62 View Post
    A little off topic here, but thinking ahead a few years, I'd like to put my Kaiser body on a panther chassis... have not measured anything yet, but it should work.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]51619[/ATTACH]
    Have you checked out cold war motors on YouTube? He basically did a junk yard Kaiser restore. Really cool cars.

Leave a comment:

• jaywish
    replied
    Like that "eye brow" roofline

Leave a comment:

• Eric62
    replied
    A little off topic here, but thinking ahead a few years, I'd like to put my Kaiser body on a panther chassis... have not measured anything yet, but it should work.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3240.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1285090

Leave a comment:

• Eric62
    replied
    Yep... it was overdue.

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    Your that trannys first.

Leave a comment:

• Eric62
    replied
    Finishing up the tranny pan, filter, and fluid job.

Name:	_DSC0800.jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1285085

Name:	_DSC0801.jpg
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1285086

Also... a little worried about this at the bottom of my old pan, but was happy to find this:
    " Ford uses it to plug the dipstick hole in the tranny before the dipstick gets installed. When the dipstick tube is installed, it falls on the bottom of the transmission pan. They all have one if the pan has never been off."
    Other than that the pan had no sludge or metal of any kind in the pan... poured out the fluid and the pan looked like new. Going back out to try and drain the torque converter next.

Name:	_DSC0803.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1285087

Leave a comment:

• Eric62
    replied
    I stopped on the slicktop conversion until my torch hoses come in. Once they do, I'll do some practice pieces first before doing it for real on the car.
    Stopped at a junkyard, but they would not let me go in the yard, so I just left. The main thing I want is a seat and it's silly to mess with it unless I can go and check it out first. I did find a self serve about 20 miles away that I will go check out in the next few weeks.
    Got the oil changed today... according to the old windshield sticker, I was only a few hundred miles over 3000. The oil wasn't honey colored, but it was no where near black either.
    Started on the transmission fluid and pan swap today. The fluid is definitely not bright red, but it does not smell burnt at all. I also verified that the new pan bolts are correct. I will finish this up tomorrow.
    Not much I know, but I'll get there.

I also got the maybe parts car towed yesterday... (dead electrical system) Not messing with it too much just yet, I did order the electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual.

Leave a comment:

• Eric62
    replied
    Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    honestly for small holes like that you could likely lead them shut instead of torch welding. Bit less heat and no grinding if you do it right.
    Maybe, but the rusty trim hole is bigger than a quarter and I have never worked with lead. I should have minimal warping if I go slow and what I do get should come right out with a bit of hammer and dolly work... I hope.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    honestly for small holes like that you could likely lead them shut instead of torch welding. Bit less heat and no grinding if you do it right.

Leave a comment:

• Eric62
    replied
    Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
    Considered buying a cheap MIG? They are easy to use and you stand a lot less chance of warping the metal.
    I will get one, but in the long run torch welding body panels is ideal and it is what I have. It is 3 ply sheetmetal where I need to patch the big rust hole, so it should be ok. The seams I need to fill are also extra stout. MIG definitely has its place though.

Leave a comment:

• Tiggie
    replied
    Considered buying a cheap MIG? They are easy to use and you stand a lot less chance of warping the metal.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    There are a bunch of brittle plastic clips, but mostly on the outside. Ford used the same clips on everything in the 80s, so the truck and Mustang market can usually yield up replacements if you need them. The interior clips are mostly just what hold on the door and some of the other panels on the side. They can be had too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X