'Sherrie' my 86 Oxford White CV Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Looks very nice. I love the original look with the stitching up top.
    Thanks. There were no replacement tops available through his vendors so they sourced the exact material and made the top. Heat seam sealed the stitches too.
    I'll probably have them replace my vinyl and plastic window top on my Merc with a canvas and glass window top this winter.
    Last edited by clutch47; 03-17-2023, 07:01 PM.
    All FORD All The Time

Comment

Looks like a shop that actually does quality work. I am sure it came at a cost. But looks good, so it's worth it.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Good craftsmanship cost money. Like the old song says, "Nice Work If You Can Get It"!
        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

From the pictures, it looks great ! It looks like the shop even did the band around the front of the top. Most upholstery shops even in CA. would not do that. In my opinion, working with the band just takes time. What did the shops do ? They painted over the old vinyl !
          Last edited by Mainemantom; 03-17-2023, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
            She's back from the upholstery shop and I'm pretty damn pleased. I didn't know that FoMoCo only padded the sides..
            It is padded completely now with closed cell foam and there was no trace of rust or problems under the old top. The headliner was still in good enough condition that I opted not to replace it.
            Enough of that. Here's the pix.
            That's the only reason why I would choose to replace the vinyl on my Mom's CV. The headliner is in excellent shape. Otherwise, I would go slick top.

Comment

Damn fine job. If only I knew someone around here that could do a similar job, I'd have them do the top on my Townie as it is starting to look a little sad in places.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                Damn fine job. If only I knew someone around here that could do a similar job, I'd have them do the top on my Townie as it is starting to look a little sad in places.
                Thanks.
                These top replacements are a much bigger job than they appear to be. If your Townie is worth it, I'd recommend going forward with it. My buddies that have stopped lately to see what's going on and check on Sherrie have said replacing the top probably saved the car and extended its life and I agree.
                That was the goal, and I hope you find someone.
                All FORD All The Time

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211109_113931.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	1387221 So, midstroke on making my gauge plans happen, DIY Auto tune that makes the Megasquirt ECUs sends me an email with this link.

https://dd-efi.com/

So.. In researching this and trying to make it work, I'm going to need another speedo bezel to butcher.
                  So...anybody have one cheap ? I won't ruin my original piece.

All FORD All The Time

Comment

Scored a speedo bezel. DD-efi needs more height than I'm willing to give to accommodate their touchscreen.
                    Currently trying to figure another way.

In the meantime, looking for ideas to relocate or hide the windshield washer fluid box, and I'd like to relocate the two square black plastic 'things' there.
                    What the hell are these things? I looked around on here and couldn't find anything.
                    All FORD All The Time

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
                      Scored a speedo bezel. DD-efi needs more height than I'm willing to give to accommodate their touchscreen.
                      Currently trying to figure another way.

In the meantime, looking for ideas to relocate or hide the windshield washer fluid box, and I'd like to relocate the two square black plastic 'things' there.
                      What the hell are these things? I looked around on here and couldn't find anything.
                      Relays. In that area you have A/C, Fuel Pump, ECM and underneath I believe is the horn relay.
                      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Excellent. Just didn't take the time to look and trace wires.
                        Thinking I can move them underneath my airbox planned for that corner after i find the right squirter reservoir.
                        All FORD All The Time

Comment

I knabbed a washer fluid reservoir off an aero MGM a while back. It mounts to the driver side inner fender. I never installed it though. But if I get the car running and moving; and I figure out the wiper motor situation; it will be installed.

Comment

Patience and persistence pays.
                            Guy at the local engine builder and speedshop does most of the cam grinding. He is a Panther aficionado and has been exclusively buying and driving boxes since the mid-80s. He's pretty fond of Sherrie. I had no idea he had the fever until I started building the Montego.
                            So we were discussing parts for boxes and he told me when he gets a chance to ask a friend of a friend's neighbor about a car in his barn...
                            Turns out to be a 1980 cop car and I can get the sway bars and mounts whenever. I'll keep my eyes peeled for anything else cop car specific and try to get pictures this week when I go get them.
                            Can you see my happy face?
                            All FORD All The Time

Comment

I am happy to just see pics of it. Curious about how the interior is set up, seats, speedometer, any extra gauges etc...basically anything out of the ordinary. Good luck.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The whole car would be cool if it were in restorable condition. There weren't that many police boxes in the early years, and even fewer left.
                                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                                X