No announcement yet.

'Sherrie' my 86 Oxford White CV Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I picked up the front and rear sway bars from the cop car, had them blasted and powdercoated. Before the next part happens, I'm going to get them scanned into a 3D model for dimensions.
    Can anyone recommend a file type or educate me a little so I don't get this wrong..?
    If I was going to consider making a few of these, what is a matched set with mounts and bushings worth?
    if the production cost is just too high, I'd probably just post the file for download.
    Thoughts ?
    All FORD All The Time

Comment

As for 3D file types... STL is a mesh file for an object and commonly used with 3D printing and CNC milling. Other than that, pick a decent 3D program and one of it's file types. GCODE also falls in this slot.

Autodesk DXF is a common one that many programs support.

OpenSCAD uses CSG files.

FreeCAD uses pretty much everything and has OpenSCAD built in as well.

If there's a 3D program you like using the best (ie: SolidWorks, SketchUp, etc), then request in that file format. If not, STL and DXF are generally popular formats for ready to print/mill or editable (DXF) with little issue. STL files are mesh files and require generating an object from it which will be a single object and then manually breaking it down into segments that can be modified.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Appreciated.
        is there an industry standard? Like one that I can present to a shop and say "I need 5 of these" and it'll be drama free?
        All FORD All The Time

Comment

STL typically covers that one... but some places want specifics to their own machines... so technically no, but STL is the most common one for "we're done making it look right, just make the damn things, thanks" part of the job.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Appreciated. Sweet. I'll be going to a place tomorrow to start this ball rolling. Hopefully more panthers getting some attention.
            All FORD All The Time

Comment

So this meeting went pretty well.

I'll be getting 5 filetypes on whatever physical medium I want along with a cloud file that I can share in a few different ways. Read only, single access and multi- access.
              The swaybars will soon be a reality.
              Once I have some numbers, I'll get them on here for a first run group purchase if anyone else is interested.
              After the first run, these will be probably one run a year.
              We shall see.
              After a long conversation across the bed of my truck, we're going to pursue these sway bars, as well as reproducing the EGR spacer that I made, and a few different emblems too.
              All FORD All The Time

Comment

Nice job taking the initiative to make this happen. I would think a good number of box Panther fans would be interested.

Now if you contact(s) could only make rear window weatherstrip for wagons!
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I think I'll have to ask the local spring forge if they can make sway bars from 3d models... Or mainly how much $$$ it'd be.
                  1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                  1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                    Nice job taking the initiative to make this happen. I would think a good number of box Panther fans would be interested.

Now if you contact(s) could only make rear window weatherstrip for wagons!
                    The option we're going to have is a solid bar or a hollow one. I can't imagine a hollow bar made from an alloy that is designed for something like this application being less effective than the heavy OEM Detroit iron these things were made from.
                    There is a foundry near me that can forge the ends of the solid bars, so I'll be researching that too.
                    If I'm going this far, I don't intend to do it half-assed.

The weatherstrip might be a challenge. I do know they can 3D print using butter, so.. who knows.
                    All FORD All The Time

Comment

Recently moved into my retirement home. Saved through my entire professional career to do this, and Sherrie found her way home into the new shop.
                      All FORD All The Time

Comment

Very Nice. Congrats!

Looks like lots of nice room for cool stuff in there.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Haven't heard from my 3D scanner guy yet on the swaybar project. When I do, I'm hoping to generate a list of prices.
                          Maybe.. front, rear, pair.
                          if this works out, I'm also thinking it could benefit this site to keep it alive. I cannot imagine everyone losing these chronological accounts of their various builds.
                          What does this 'place' cost annually to keep it alive?
                          What would be a reasonable donation to this site's expense from each bar sold?
                          Forgive me for thinking out loud, but it's a group thing.. at least from my perspective.
                          All FORD All The Time

Comment

Yes, very nice and congratulations. Much want and envy for that shop and that car, I like those wheels by the way. Your shop is cleaner than my F'in house!
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                              Yes, very nice and congratulations. Much want and envy for that shop and that car, I like those wheels by the way. Your shop is cleaner than my F'in house!
                              Thanks.
                              As far as clean goes, give me a couple months and it'll be well used again. Kinda can't stay out of the shop..
                              All FORD All The Time

Comment

Preparing to remove both interior door panels again to replace dew wipes and window frame channel. I have the new channel in a box..somewhere..
                                I've noticed from time to time the drivers window drops down in back just enough to bind it on it's way up. We'll be addressing that too.

Then, on to an updated air intake system of some sort.

So glad I'll never move again.
                                Next residence is 1 pine box drive.
                                Kinda hoping to get this car done before that happens
                                All FORD All The Time

Comment

Working...
                                X