No announcement yet.

My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So we have no working solution for a broken vacuum release? Just cap the line and be done with it?
    1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

If you can find a replacement vacuum switch for the column you could swap the faulty one out. Mine never worked in the '87, so I pulled the line and capped it at the vacuum tree.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

the switches can be had, its just an SOB to put them in. I spent an houir under the dash changing one only to have one of the screws strip, allowing the valve to move out of position so the finger on the shift lever lost contact with the fork on the valve, and when i shifted it back the other way it tried to over-travel the valve and broke the fork off. Thats when I abandoned the idea of fixing that system.

for a device with only 2 screws you wouldn't think its that bad of a job, its just in a very awkward spot that I'm to fat to fit into and it requires a fair bit of blind work besides. I could get my hand in there, or see what I was doing, but not both at once.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Found dad's lost infrared thermometer.
          I fired up the car, let it run on high idle for about a minute and jabbed the throttle so it idled down. I let it run and warm up for a little under 10 minutes, checking out the temps of the manifolds as they warmed up.
          Cylinders 3, 4 & 8 were slower to warm up than the others.
          The temps started plateauing around 160-170°C, except for cylinders 5 & 6, which got up to about 200-210°C

From one thing to another:
          My rear speakers started making awful noises last summer and have done it recently too. I yanked out the offending one (left) and inspected it for damage or deterioration. None to be seen. Played some music through it while it was on the spare tire shelf. No unwanted noise. Put it back in and still no noise. Win?
          Where's the radio ground location?

Oh yeah and I found a wingnut for the spare tire hold down. Now I can more easily access the space saver that's probably original and flat.
          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
          1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Inspection day:
            - Sway bar end links are kinda shot
            - Leaks oil (no shit)
            - Rear left wheelbearing has play in it
            - Rear brakes are a bit weak and poor balance

+ Emissions were good (first time with the carb setup)

So she passed Not a single thing mentioned on the sheet, the guy was definitely understanding of a classic car. If my car was a normal POS, no chance of passing.

Oh yeah and on the way home (i think) something happened and now there's a vacuum leak behind the carb. Went lean but I was able to baby her home.

Comment

I you park on a slope leaning to the left you could use too much oil pretty quick. Then you need all new gears etc.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

fix that wheel bearing soon. If its got enough play to be detectable the axle is most likely trash too. The bearing rides directly on the axle too so once the hard shell on the axle grinds through it will fail rapidly. Having been in one of these cars when the axle failed, I can tell you it would have been a lot less fun if it still had drum brakes on it.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  fix that wheel bearing soon.
                  I figured as much, and of course its the 8.8 with the stupid c-clips...
                  Might aswell do bearings and seals on both sides since I've got to open the rear end. I'll pull the drums before ordering bearings so I can see if I need any brake parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                    I figured as much, and of course its the 8.8 with the stupid c-clips...
                    Might aswell do bearings and seals on both sides since I've got to open the rear end. I'll pull the drums before ordering bearings so I can see if I need any brake parts.
                    Agreed. I'd fix anything I could since you are already into it to avoid the "domino effect".
                    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Also it is not a bad time to swap in a posi carrier or disk brakes if the items can be had.
                      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                        Also it is not a bad time to swap in a posi carrier or disk brakes if the items can be had.
                        Those fall more into the "wants" and not "needs". Also no, I don't have that stuff laying around... I have no clue where I'd find suitable disc brakes, probably because I don't even know what are suitable disc brakes. Finding a used lsd for an 8.8 here in Finland is really-fucking-hard. One guy is selling a 3.73 lsd exploder rear end, for a grand.

Comment

IIRC any panther disk setup will work, I had put an 11 setup on my old 89. Yes finding a carrier could be tough.
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I removed the rear drums today and checked out the play on the wheel bearings. There's probably a millimeter of up-down play, on both sides. I've browsed forums and stuff trying to find a spec for the bearing play, but can't find anything conclusive. Some say there shouldn't be any play, and that kinda baffles me. I'm no engineer (no wait, shit I am...), but no play in the this type of bearing setup makes no sense to me, since it's not a press fit on both sides nor is it a conical bearing.

Wheel seals, brakes and hardware all looks good, dirty but no obvious leaks from the seals or wheel cylinders. Adjusted the shoes out a bit, as much as I could and still slide the drum on. There's barely any lip on the drums, and I dont have a good tool to adjust the shoes from tiny hole on the backside. Who makes red-painted brake shoes? S/N looked almost ford-ish but couldn't make out the numbers.

Comment

At one time, Raybestos sold red painted brake shoes.
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Browsing the internet high and low, asking peeps around... Some say 1mm of play on the bearings is totally normal and others say there should be absolutely none. So which one fucking is it?

Changing the bearings is a shit job and I'd rather not spend the ~hundo plus the effort for fuck all.
                                Sorry Im pissed off, but I'm already tense and now there's people telling me it's fine and others telling me it's fucked.

Comment

Working...
                                X