No announcement yet.

My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't bother trying to reuse it. Do you have an auto upholstery shop or supplier near you . Upholstery shops usually have headlining material. You don't need much. I would buy 1 1/2- 2 yards. That is more than enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
      Don't bother trying to reuse it. Do you have an auto upholstery shop or supplier near you . Upholstery shops usually have headlining material. You don't need much. I would buy 1 1/2- 2 yards. That is more than enough.
      The problem is finding a suitable colour and material, most modern headliner materials are much coarser and not dark red. I'll pop by the 2 upholstery shops in town today.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

No dice on real headliner materials, poor colour selection and too coarse. There's some felt mat type of stuff available for order, but I don't have a colour sample to match up to. Upholsterer said she could attempt on reglueing the old fabric to new foam backing, but the old cloth is so thin and stretchy that I'd be a one shot trial, she didn't recommend it.

I have errands in another town on Friday, I'll pop by a (specifically vehicle) upholstery shop while there. In a fabric chain store there's two shades of velvet-type thick upholstery fabric that should be available, it'd be usable and putting the "grain" of the velvet in a certain orientation would make it not too shiny. I also have some flexible thick plastic-cardboard sheet that I could use to make new backing boards for the C-pillars, since the old cardboard is kinda wavy.

Other news, the obnoxious resonance at 80km/h when the AC kicks on has been seemingly resolved. The belt was too tight.

Comment

New C-pillar interior pieces are done and back in. New backing from fiber board, new foam and new fabric. Fiber board was about 5mm, foam was 1cm, meaning the end result was much thicker than what original would have been. The fabric is kinda expensive turkish velvet, but it was the best colormatch and coincidentally also the most rich and plush looking fabric.
          A couple minor gripes with how things turned out
          - Original backing boards were concave, new ones aren't and it pushes the door opening trim so it doesn't quite sit flush with the door seal.
          - The glue soaked into the foam and I left a couple depressions into it that don't seem to be coming out. Time will tell.
          - Being velvet it plays funky with light so the color doesn't always match the headliner, depending on viewing angle and lighting.

Atleast it's not the old, hanging cloth and crumbling foam anymore. It's a damn interior c-pillar, no one will notice it, except me!
          Whenever there's a next time for interior upholstery work, I'll leave it to the professionals, FFS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230706_182005.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	1389952 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230706_182051.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	1389953

I was going to redo the parcel shelf, but the backing is effed up from the 3-point belt reels. Oh well.
          Got a shop visit lined up in a couple weeks, they'll put in new wheel bearings, axle seals (again) and axle shafts. I might be broke but doing the wheel bearings is such a shit job in the driveway.
          Pieksämäki Big Wheels -event is on the 22nd, I'd like to take Maisa there again. But only if I have time to drive it enough after the shop to make sure I'm not slinging gear oil from here to there.

Comment

Looks good to me. Nice work.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Looks really nice to me.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Looks good to me. A worthwhile improvement for sure.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thanks guys, I kinda get bummed out when I could've avoided easy mistakes and ended up with a better result. Like not putting the piece on a bucket and leaving a round depression in the foam...

Comment

Nice dude, thats on the list for my 79. Thanks for the info.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Nice work.
                      All FORD All The Time

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                        Nice maintenance work.
                        Dave that is high praise coming from you

Comment

She got some badging back on finally. I've had the trunk lid bare since we did the buffing, I kinda liked it but it did look a bit empty.
                          I put only the GM badge back on, I quite like minimalist look:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230711_133731.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	1390070
                          And no, it's not crooked, the top edge plays with eyes.

Comment

Very nice. Whats absent is a script Mercury?
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                              Very nice. Whats absent is a script Mercury?
                              The cursive Mercury from the right side of the trunk and the LS from just right of the GM badge.
                              I also have a Palm Beach Lincoln-Mercury dealer emblem.

Kinda so-so about adding the LS back, but the Mercury script is staying off, IMO it doesn't really fit with the straight lines and formality of the box MGM.
                              Last edited by Arquemann; 07-12-2023, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Right, got her back from the shop, 500€ ouchie. Why? Apparently the axle savers I put in were reeeeeeally hard to get out. They needed a hydraulic puller. I just tapped them in with a normal hammer?
                                So I'm broke and something in the rear makes a hum now.
                                C-pillar trim repairs didn't hold up too long, the cloth is "bubbling" a bit here and there as the backing is settling into its concave shape.
                                And the weekend trip to Pieksämäki Big Wheels won't be happening.

Oh well. But it looks like my money and sanity will run out about the same time, which is kinda convenient.

Comment

Working...
                                X