No announcement yet.

My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm down to a single drum brake vehicle, and its my newest. When I got it the parking brake absolutely did not work, but the pedal really didn't feel bad. Pulled the drums just to see what was going on, expecting a mess and I saw brand new brake shoes and zero dust. Someone, probably my uncle, had changed the rear brakes and left the adjuster wound all the way in. Easiest drum brake repair I've ever done. No idea if the self adjuster works, but they only function when the shoes are kind-of close to start with. Way out and it just won't do anything.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Probably because the adjusters are designed to be a "fine" or "polish off" adjustment and not miracle makers. Makes sense to me as long as repairers understand the design limitations all will be fine.
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Adjusted front wheel bearings, they were a little loose. Again I adjusted them so I can feel a bit of play yanking on the tire, but not audible. I did some city driving and the hubs were barely warm, hopefully that's just from braking.

Also changed plugs again, previously did them in May last year. I had almost forgotten about the Denso Plats I bought in the spring.
        Couple things I noted:
        - New plugs did not affect the rough idle at all it seems
        - A/F distribution is better with the Holley 4bbl than with the CFI previously. Plug colours are all quite close to eachother
        - A couple plugs are wet(ter) than last year. 1, 2, 4 & 8 were wet. A year ago it was mostly 1 & 4. All a bit carboned up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230720_163423.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.36 MB ID:	1390323 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230720_163431.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.32 MB ID:	1390324
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Front bearings... tighten to 100 ft-lbs then loosen and snug. Set cotter pin at next tightest slot if not already lined up. It should not be loose.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            Front bearings... tighten to 100 ft-lbs then loosen and snug. Set cotter pin at next tightest slot if not already lined up. It should not be loose.
            100 ft-lbs?? Jeeez even the Ford manual says to tighten to 30 ft-lbs (or was it 34) and then loosen and set to 10 inch-lbs I think. But I've always done like I explained in the previous post. I think there's like 4-5k miles on the bearings. This is my second time adjusting them.

Comment

Wait... I might be thinking of something else. Maybe new seals or another part. But yea, there should be no play. I've never used a torque wrench and just done TIGHT with a 3/8 ratchet and then backed off and snugged up until it didn't wiggle but would rotate with little effort (not no effort as that's too loose).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yes tighten till it binds when spinning then a little more to set the bearings..
                Then back off till it just no longer binds at all. free spinning.
                Lock it down with cotter just the smallest possible amount looser than this position. Not tighter.
                That is pretty much how I have done it.
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

HEHEHEEY guess what guys!
                  The rear end started whining! About 80km after the shop visit!
                  Did not whine on wednesdays trip, did not whine yesterday on the way to the cruise night. Started whining out of the blue on the way home.

A clearly audible whine at about 75-80kmh and kinda seems to growl at 100+ kmh.
                  For four years it has been nice and quiet. Then the inspector tells me to go poke around. And all downhill from there.
                  Fuck.
                  Fluid level is fine, checked it today. I highly doubt the old fluid was anything other than 80W90, probably older than the Ford TSB about using 75W-140.

I think I'll call the shop on monday, also mentioning their shoddy workmanship aswell. After that I might consider offing myself or other pleasant pastimes.

Comment

Called the shop, they took my comments sincerely. Mechanic will get some questions asked and a stern talking-to. If the rear end noise gets worse, they'll take it back and check it through, no fuss about it. They said worn diffs can be finicky and I'd be inclined to agree.

Dunno if I should just put in 75w-140 in it already. I hate the diff whine, I have good hearing and it just drills into my skull even over music. Atleast the MGM's whine isn't as loud as in the Caprice.
                    Also the front wheel bearings are just fine, I was just overly cautious about them getting warm after tightening them.

Comment

That's good to hear about the shop being cooperative. I'm surprised they didn't want you to bring it in as it is. If it always whined after the set it up i'd say the gear teeth weren't set up correctly, but since it suddenly occurred, something happened. I'd recommend 75w-140 synthetic regardless. Although i'd have them take a listen first.
                      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                        That's good to hear about the shop being cooperative. I'm surprised they didn't want you to bring it in as it is. If it always whined after the set it up i'd say the gear teeth weren't set up correctly, but since it suddenly occurred, something happened. I'd recommend 75w-140 synthetic regardless. Although i'd have them take a listen first.
                        Thing is that they didn't touch the gearing at all (or they shouldn't have atleast). Since they changed the wheel bearings and axle shafts, only thing I can come up with is if a wheel bearing was installed improperly, crooked or bent. But I can't really see a normal cylindrical roller bearing whining like that if damaged. I'd also sound like it's coming from either end of the axle.

I'll see how things play out, if the whine doesn't get worse in the near future, I might just have to come to terms with it. And/or put in 75W-140.
                        Since the type of whine (only at certain speed, low throttle) would kinda indicate pinion bearing preload, I wonder how much could I tighten the pinion nut before the gear mesh goes off too much. Just to snug up the bearing preload a bit, in case it'd shut up.

Comment

Not sure if this helps, but a loose pinion has noise on decel, too tight is noise on acceleration.
                          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

If it were my money I would not be satisfied "living with it"! Have them fix it until it is correct or work out a financial settlement and have it done elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                              If it were my money I would not be satisfied "living with it"! Have them fix it until it is correct or work out a financial settlement and have it done elsewhere.
                              Of course I'm not satisfied with the whining rear end, but at this point it's quite hard to clearly prove that it's caused by the shop. If it gets worse, it'll be a more obvious case of something done wrong, but currently it could just be stupid coincidence. Considering the fact that the old gear oil I drained the first time around could've been original. If something in the rear end is currently making glitter off itself, it'll get worse. I'm having a hard time coming up why the shops work would be causing the whine. Only thing odd about this is that the whine started so suddenly.

Comment

If it wasn't there before bringing it to the shop - that would be my story to have them fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                X