No announcement yet.

My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exciting day. Will be more exciting when the new/rebuilt one goes in.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Ooh, I found black paint!
      Before:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230925_134708.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	3.26 MB
ID:	1391848 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230925_134726.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	1391849

After:

Name:	20230925_153335.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	1391850 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230925_153326.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	1391851 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230925_153320.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	1391852

Most of desired end result was achieved, steering linkage is still filthy with grease and the pump and steering box need another pass after there's something other than me holding it in place. Needs another once-over, some hoses replced, fuel lines reconfigured and kinda want to paint the vacuum booster.
      And the desired end result is as follows: 1. Doesn't look neglected. 2. I can see what'd leak if it starts leaking. 3. I don't get a shower of oily crud every time I work under the car.

I've got an operation on wednesday with a few days' recovery and the car is going to winter storage on Sunday. So tomorrow I need to whip up something to keep the torque converter from sliding out and something better than a bungee cord to keep the PS pump from yanking on the hoses.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

That came out well.

Good luck with your surgery.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Looks much better

chunk of wood with a hole drilled through it so you can bolt it to one of the tranmission mounting holes would do fine. Use 2 holes if you want to be fancy.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Cleaned up the trans a bit, no real visual improvement, but hopefully less crap falling on me upon engine reinstall. Really couldn't bother measuring and drilling holes in wood or messing with nuts and bolts, so I just reinstalled the inspection cover. It's a stamped piece with 2 bolts holding it on. Stuffed a rag between it and the converter so the converter doesn't have room to move. Should be fine.

Reattached the shift linkage after jacking up the trans a bit more and tightening the strap that's holding it up. I need the car in neutral to move it around, in hindsight would've been smarter to put it in neutral before even pulling the engine.

AC compressor sits nicely on the battery tray with a bungee cord keeping it from leaving the premises. PS pump and bracket is now securely attached with 2 bungee cords instead of one!

Comment

The engine didn't look that big in the engine bay, or on the ground. But damn when it's on the stand at almost chest height and you're pushing it in through a doorway, it's suddenly pretty big
              Engine stand is a cheap piece of shit, big surprise. Don't even have to think about rotating the engine without some serious weight loss first.
              Found some damage, flexplate has been rubbing the spacer plate for some reason:

Name:	20230926_175520.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	904.9 KB
ID:	1391877 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230926_175517.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	1391879

Engine isn't terribly filthy, or atleast the block isn't. Rear china wall leaked before the intake swap, front china wall leaked before and after. Pan gasket is fuckulated and the oil level sender leaks internally.

Name:	20230926_184504.jpg
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	1391880 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230926_184512.jpg
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	1391881 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230926_184519.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	1391882 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230926_184529.jpg
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	1391878

Comment

Measure? What? Woodworking of that sort is done by eyeball and maybe shoving a marker through the hole to show where to drill.

See how much the crank will slide back and forth in the engine. I'm wondering if your thrust bearing is just wiped out and thats the noise and the rubbing. Did the converter slide back into the transmission by any noticeable amount when you pulled the nuts? It should, if it does not it may be ballooning and pushing forward on the crank. That will wipe out the thrust bearing and the trans pump.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  See how much the crank will slide back and forth in the engine. I'm wondering if your thrust bearing is just wiped out and thats the noise and the rubbing. Did the converter slide back into the transmission by any noticeable amount when you pulled the nuts? It should, if it does not it may be ballooning and pushing forward on the crank. That will wipe out the thrust bearing and the trans pump.
                  I don't have a way to keep the crank jammed one way alone, but smacking it one way or another I did not see any perceptible thrust play without measuring. Will recheck with another pair of hands later. I was able to slide the converter back a bit after the nuts were off, maybe 5-10mm ?
                  Last edited by Arquemann; 09-27-2023, 06:22 AM.

Comment

So roughly the diameter of the converter studs? thats fine. If it was messed up it wouldn't move back noticeably.

Have to pry back and forth on the crank to check the play. Last time I did this I set up the indicator against the balancer on the front and stuck a bolt in the crank on the back. Pry against the inner hub of the balancer up front to move it that way, pry against the bolt in the crank to move it that way. Just thinking if it was really sloppy it might explain the damage to the spacer plate. If you don't obviously see it slopping back and forth, probably not it but I'd still be surprised if its not out of spec. New main bearings will usuallyfix that, the center bearing is the thrust bearing and the faces are often down to copper.

Comment

I've got a car trailer reserved for a few hours on sunday, it comes with a hand winch.
                      Since the MGM has no engine, and there's an almost full tank of gas and a bunch of junk in the trunk, I'd guess the car is a bit rear-heavy now?

Where the heck do I attach a winch / strap in the rear?

Comment

If it doesn't have a trailer hitch on it, rear axle or hook holes in the frame. Don't use the holes next to the bumper in the frame. They're a little too thin there for my liking. Don't use the bumper either since they might pull off. The mounts shouldn't pull out, but they aren't designed for tension, only compression.

Do have wheel chocks/timbers/blocks on hand to keep it from rolling away or ramming the front of the trailer. A buddy to assist with that would be a bonus.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Had to re-remove the shift linkage off the bellhousing, mechanism was binding up so I couldn't shift into neutral. Now it's in neutral and will stay so until there's an engine in holding up the trans in the correct position. Also ripped out the shreds of the evaporator housing heat shield mat and what was left of the rubber/fiber splash shields above the upper control arms.

I thought about removing the wiper linkage box to make engine reinstall easier, but now I'm definitely taking it off. As I fingerbanged the drain grommet-thing I realized the linkage housing is packed with decomposing plant matter. Will need thorough cleaning.

Originally posted by sly View Post
                          If it doesn't have a trailer hitch on it, rear axle or hook holes in the frame. Don't use the holes next to the bumper in the frame. They're a little too thin there for my liking. Don't use the bumper either since they might pull off. The mounts shouldn't pull out, but they aren't designed for tension, only compression.

Do have wheel chocks/timbers/blocks on hand to keep it from rolling away or ramming the front of the trailer. A buddy to assist with that would be a bonus.
                          Yeah I saw those spindly little holes and I wouldn't trust those even on flat-ish ground.

Comment

The rear sway bar?
                            1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

Originally posted by Lutrova View Post
                              The rear sway bar?
                              ​If it has one. I know the 88 I had didn't, so it's not uncommon for them to be missing on boxes.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lutrova View Post
                                The rear sway bar?
                                I wish I had one...

Comment

Working...
                                X