My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post

Oh I'm quite happy they did it, completely unprompted and pro bono. I did thank them courteously and paid a bit extra.
    Nice! It's always good when mistakes lead to more improvements! Takes the sting out of the mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Rotating assembly is in and done.
      Even after my fumblings, all oil clearances are under 0.0020". The rearmost conrod journal had tolerances slightly closer to 0.0020" than the others, nothing unexpected.
      Crank spun nicely by hand, stiff to turn now that the piston and rings are in. Standard tension rings, I think originals were "low tension"?

Pistons are about 0.3mm / 0.012" below deck. A crude measurement.

Next up, timing chain, cover, oil pump, pickup and pan. Then I need to order more stuff.
      I want to paint the engine without the timing cover, but I can't really put the oil pan on before the timing cover. And the masking becomes interesting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20231202_153350.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	1393293
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

A sneak peek of what stuff might end up looking like. I'm going with silver.
        Original idea was to paint the engine with a brush, but the metallic in a silver seems to mean I can't get a smooth finish no matter how I try. Well, time to strip the timing cover and start again.
        Attempt two was with thinned brush-on paint and a foam brush; runs immediately, shitty coverage and still lines from the metallic.

Third attempt turned out pretty well, I guess I'm going this route. It's generic alkyd spray paint, advertised as gasoline and chemical proof and impact resistant. No mention of heat resistance, but it's alkyd so it shouldn't lose it's gloss or discolour too bad, hopefully.

Bummer that I couldn't find a good silver brush-on paint, since a brushed paintjob would most likely be longer lasting and more robust than a spraybomb.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20231212_135343.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	1393520

Comment

Looks like a nice aluminum finish.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Timing cover is on, I only painted the sides and "backside" bits so spraying the assembled engine isn't as hard. Installed it twice, realized I need to install the balancer to center the cover. Later came to the conclusion that I centered the cover better myself without the damper. Whatever I guess. Not like the slight offset on the crank seal bugs... me... at... all...
            Also put on the oil pan, mainly to get it out of the way and keep debris from the insides. Light smear of RTV on the pan as its a bit pitted and one of those fancypants felpro blue gaskets.

I have a problem, my oil level sender leaks internally. RockAuto is out of stock and I'm not spending 70€+ plus for one either. Can I just chop off the sender bit off the sender and plug it with RTV or epoxy? I presume the sender just grounds out when the float drops? I'd like to able to plug the connector into the sender to make things look complete, otherwise I'd just fill the sender connector with RTV or find a plug for the hole in the pan.

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
              Timing cover is on, I only painted the sides and "backside" bits so spraying the assembled engine isn't as hard. Installed it twice, realized I need to install the balancer to center the cover. Later came to the conclusion that I centered the cover better myself without the damper. Whatever I guess. Not like the slight offset on the crank seal bugs... me... at... all...
              Also put on the oil pan, mainly to get it out of the way and keep debris from the insides. Light smear of RTV on the pan as its a bit pitted and one of those fancypants felpro blue gaskets.

I have a problem, my oil level sender leaks internally. RockAuto is out of stock and I'm not spending 70€+ plus for one either. Can I just chop off the sender bit off the sender and plug it with RTV or epoxy? I presume the sender just grounds out when the float drops? I'd like to able to plug the connector into the sender to make things look complete, otherwise I'd just fill the sender connector with RTV or find a plug for the hole in the pan.
              Have you checked EBAY or other sources?
              What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
              What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post

Have you checked EBAY or other sources?
                Like 40 dollars for chinesium ones at the cheapest, all US based sellers so the shipping just kills it. Don't feel like spending closer to a hundo for a stupid sender I don't plan on needing. I have a brain and a dipstick.

Comment

It's 1/4 NPT IIRC. Could get a brass hex plug for it. Or replace it with a dedicated oil pressure gauge with it's own sender. Probably get the gauge and sender kit for less than one of those senders from this side of the pond.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The timing cover should have locating dowels around 2 of the bolt holes down low near the oil pan that centers it. There shouldn't really be much ability to move it around if those are present. If missing, get some replacements.

sealer won't hold on the pressure sender, use a pipe plug. Its def 1/4 NPT.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1 on the pipe plug. I wouldn't risk any type of sealer for that application. Then you just have to resolve the connector of the sensor issue.
                      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I am talking about the oil level sender, I guess I gotta mention that again.
                        Looking at some mustang forums, there's an internal seal that some have managed to replace and fix the internal leaking, I might try taking the sender apart non-destructively first.

Comment

Right... Mercury... yeah... brain didn't trigger on the "level" part. No clue why. That one I've never touched.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Oh that. It unscrews and you should be able to fit a plug in there, but I don't know what size it is. Might be the same size as the drain plug, but thats a guess.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I cut the float "cage" off it and squeezed black RTV between the inner and outer bits. Also put some on the threads and screwed it in. It's an interestingly simple non-serviceable design. Works in any orientation. But if it weren't for the internal leaking, the sensors would probably last forever. Mustang guys say it's M20x1,5 so I could get a plug for it, but a plug wouldn't have a plug for my plug to plug into.

Comment

Among my bag of head bolts, I have one that has a stud on top of it, with a nut. I can't remember where that one goes to. I'm guessing it holds some bracket for something, but where and what?

Comment

Working...
                                X