Nice. Do want.

Rock auto magnets below too!
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
      Nice. Do want.

Rock auto magnets below too!
      Gotta have them magnets, still could fit atleast 4 more on the side of the PC case.
      That's where alot of my parts come from. Summit and RA are a couple of the rare shops that do international shipping without fuss.
      Being in Finland I've got a couple options, Local US-parts store, Rockauto and the finnish Ford club. Normal auto parts stores are basically useless with these cars. Can't even get the correct wipers, spark plugs or turn signal bulbs for example.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Love thee grille up there, really cool. Want to do the same thing.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Hwat!? These starters aren't all black with a stucco-like surface?
          Finally got around to cleaning that hunk, found out it's actually original! It liked to free sping every now and then, so I'm guessing the bendix is a bit sticky. I reeeally don't feel like tearing it apart to lube the bendix shaft so I think I'll spray lube down the shaft and pretend it'll do something.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240320_192309.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	1395621

Comment

It's a nice piece and OE, you might as well tear into it. It'll never be that clean again and it looks to already be on the bench..

Comment

yeah its probably about due for brushes and a clean&lube. Not all that much in starters and they aren't too hard to work on.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oiled the bendix shaft and greased the pivot pin. Gear turns and comes out smoothly, bit of wear on the teeth. Cleaned up whatever crud that had made its way under the covers. Brushes look fine, a bit dark but evenly worn and plenty of life left. The starter has always spun nice and fast, I won't bother fixing what ain't broke, especially as I can't just pop in the shop around the corner to buy new brushes for pocket change.
                Considering the starter has probably never been removed and how filthy it was, it was very clean inside.

Comment

As I've had the carb tuned, it always liked to go quite rich on throttle tip-in, which I'm quite sure was the accelerator pump needing tuning. But since it was kinda fine, I hadn't done anything about it. Now that the carb is on my table, I decided to look into it, see what the pump nozzle is and so on.

I had adjusted the pump arm so it's right, but now I noticed that opening the throttle about a third and more bottoms out the accelerator pump, it even compresses the spring in the arm. The accelerator pump diaphragm is very stiff and slow to return, but it has worked fine. I'll replace it, but it doesn't seem to be the issue.

Looking at reference photos, my eye was drawn to the pump cam. Long story short, someone has put a Holley Dominator/4500 series accelerator pump cam into the HP570 Street Avenger.
                  Which causes the arm to bottom out the accelerator pump diaphram at less than a third of throttle. Yay for finding an issue and not-yay for it being an unneccessarily expensive issue to fix. Those pump cams are dummy expensive.

Attached Files

Comment

Looks like they weren't as dummy expensive as it seemed initially. Found Allstate Carburetor, which happens to ship internationally without fuss.
                    The "default" white pump cam was a whopping $1.89 and the pump diaphragm was $3.75. Since the shipping cost was staying at 22.70, I threw in a couple float bowl gaskets (@ 75 cents a piece) and a couple base gaskets (@ 2.50 a piece).

Just the pump cam would've been 28€ locally, and the diaphragm another 10€.

Comment

The good and bad thing about Holley carbs is how adjustable they are.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yep. I had to buy a book, study it up and then a kit or two to make mine right.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          The good and bad thing about Holley carbs is how adjustable they are.
                          Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                          Yep. I had to buy a book, study it up and then a kit or two to make mine right.
                          ​I dunno, I just watched some youtube videos and bought an O2 sensor. Found holley tuning pretty easy and straightforward tbh.
                          First you pick a power valve (with quick math), set the idle mixture, then adjust main jet based on the afr at mild acceleration or higher rpm cruising. And then adjust secondary jets based on wot afr. Base settings for accelerator pump work for most reasonable setups. Vacuum secondaries are nice.
                          If you wanna go ham, then you can get a fancier model with adjustable air bleeds and restrictor stuff.

It's nice since you tune step by step, work your way to the end. Not like carters/edelbrocks, those I don't quite get. To do one thing, you need to change one, two or three things at once. One change doesn't affect just one thing.

Comment

Mostly I mean its very possible to get one very f'd up by adjusting them incorrectly or installing the wrong parts like using a pump cam that makes no sense at all.

I always thought the Holley method of float adjustment was by far the best way though. No screwing around with height measurements and bending tabs and all that, just pop the plug out and make the adjustment.

Comment

Yup that float adjustment method goes way back for holley. And it is done with the fuel in the bowl so you know for sure if it is right or not.
                              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post

​I dunno, I just watched some youtube videos and bought an O2 sensor. Found holley tuning pretty easy and straightforward tbh.
                                First you pick a power valve (with quick math), set the idle mixture, then adjust main jet based on the afr at mild acceleration or higher rpm cruising. And then adjust secondary jets based on wot afr. Base settings for accelerator pump work for most reasonable setups. Vacuum secondaries are nice.
                                If you wanna go ham, then you can get a fancier model with adjustable air bleeds and restrictor stuff.

It's nice since you tune step by step, work your way to the end. Not like carters/edelbrocks, those I don't quite get. To do one thing, you need to change one, two or three things at once. One change doesn't affect just one thing.

I like having a book right there at my side should I need to reference it. I may watch a video or two about how people do something, but not when I'm elbows deep in a project. When I'm working, I'm easily annoyed by people who try to be funny, useless bullshit and advertisements. No provisions for an O2 sensor on my '69 Plymouth and I wasn't about to make one. It took me one afternoon to get things mostly dialed in and then several other hours to fine tune the jets in. Ran damn fine after I was done.

Comment

Working...
                                X