No announcement yet.

My 79 Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upper control arm shaft is more beefy than the stock one by about 4mm. The length is identical. Lines up perfectly for the bolts.
    Attached Files

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Looks like the one on my aero. Probably "later style" as they pretty much all fit.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Time to push it in, then. Only the centerlink in the front end will stay....everything else is being changed out;

Bilstein Comfort shocks in front
        KYB gas a just in rear
        Mevotech Supreme 8652 constant rate springs front, leaving rear for now
        New lower control arms
        Ball joints, bushings, tierods, idler arm, etc
        Last edited by Grand1; 01-08-2024, 04:51 PM.

Comment

I been talking to Vic while site was down. Upper control Arm bushing, I have a small gap from washer. Interesting that the shop manual mentions put a washer on only one side. I went through my pressed out hardware and found 4 washers (2 for each side) Confused.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8075666218878318195.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	1394171 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240109_120334_1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1394172

Comment

Well, gonna roll with that miniscule gap, put those serrated washers on both sides since that is what came off.

Interesting to note. Lower Control arms are NOT swappable, the diameter of the housing, where the bushings sit, is to wide to mount by at least 1/4 inch.

So:

1. Since the OE lower control arms are virtually unattainable, I am giving them the white glove treatment. Getting those bushings out without a press was something. I took my time carefully not to damage anything. They are out, but what a bear.

2. Degrease, grind of rust, clean, rust proof, then rubberized undercoat.

The bullshit threads are toast for the shocks. What is the typical fix? Weld nuts to the underside or inside? Put the bolt upside down and then with a nut?

Comment

j nut/ j clip for the lower shock mount is the quick and easy fix.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

+1 J-nut... also called extruded nut depending on catalog.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Well got one side done with those constant rate springs. I torqued down the upper and lower bushings just past finger tight. You torque both sets at vehicle ride height... Or since my tire is in the way on the passenger side for the upper, jacked accordingly?

The lower control arms were ridiculous as far as lining up, no issue when I did.my aero...both sides had the bolthole equidistant off center (a good thing as the probability for any bent or substandard arms is diminished)which required me to grind and score the bushing sleeve. Just glad everything is coming back together. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20240119_165532_01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	239.2 KB ID:	1394438
                  Last edited by Grand1; 01-19-2024, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Name:	20240130_131042.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	1394689 Are these little off gaps between the bar and the link, ok ? I have tried to get it nice and flush a variety of ways and this is the best I can do.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240130_133542.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.67 MB ID:	1394688
                    Last edited by Grand1; 01-30-2024, 03:02 PM.

Comment

You could probably tighten it a bit more. Jack it from from the lower control arm and see how the bushings look when its at ride height.
                      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Yeah, I did the whole ride height thing when torquing down the lca and uca bushings via jack and then proceeded to this step...another set of hands would make this painless

Comment

I put a box end wrench on the top and quarter impact on the bottom and go until it stops or I'm satisfied with the squish. Whichever comes first.

Comment

Well the j clips did it with minor grinding modification...front end done.

Replacing the valve covers as I have a leak on a bank. The gaskets are completely petrified and crumbled.

Drivers side was smooth sailing. Passenger side buried...what's the deal with this huge smog line? I think it goes to the back of the head, haven't checked. How to delete as my valve covers are pinned by it.

Name:	20240206_141559.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	1394868 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240206_141622.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	1394869

Comment

Well, according to my research 5/8-11 inch long bolt will do the trick​. Also heard the cheapest is to put a spark plug in and snap it off.

Comment

I'd delete all the smog/AIR and EGR shit off of that car. I love EGR, but only when computer controlled.
                                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                                X