No announcement yet.

My 79 Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like the pipe is bent down way more vs how the one on my engine was.
    I highly doubt you'll be able to install bolts in the back of the heads with them in the car.

This is a simple and free way to delete the pipe:
    https://www.corral.net/threads/smog-...plugs.2516434/
    The pipe in boxes is a bit different shape, but idea is the same. I did it myself previously when converting to a carb.

Now that I have had the engine out and apart, I installed bolts into the holes in the heads. I took a metal bottle brush and honed the everloving piss out of the holes to be able to thread the bolts in. That's why I'd not recommend doing it in the car. It's all caked up with carbon.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

I’ve done the 5/8”-11 bolt in the cylinder head like suggested prior. Bit of an odd size, but I’ve found them at hardware stores. Works quite well.

I do recall running a tap through those holes to get all the carbon out of the port.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I cut the crossover pipe off the mounted ends and flipped them over and used copper RTV to seal those things up. Was still holding fine when I sold the car several years later.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Something I will need to do, the list doesn't end.lol.

Back on suspension. Changing the rear springs...they seemed abnormally shifty when I took the RA special shocks off (KYB Gas Ajust going on). New spring is Lesjofors coil spring 4427508 (have no idea, it was $60 delivered cause I had a credit).

Pic one is how the lower spring tail is mointed. Pic two is passenger side.

Pic one has the end tail closest to me, Pic two is the same position but farther away since on the on the passenger side. Any tips appreciated, just don't want it ta squeak....assuming one would need another hand to crowbar the axle down to slip in da spring. And mount exactly like the below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240215_121007.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.7 KB ID:	1395035 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240215_121835.jpg Views:	0 Size:	153.4 KB ID:	1395036
          Last edited by Grand1; 02-15-2024, 04:20 PM.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Yeah... crowbar to pry it. Just pull from a position not in-line with the pull itself just in case something goes wrong and it jumps off.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Shocks and springs in.

Changing the dif fluid and gasket. Very clean no shavings or gunk. Assuming 80-90 fluid

Interesting:

1. Axle code is WGY-D
              2. Both in my shop manual and the below cite it's an 8.5 with 2.26.
              3. 8.5 gasket doesn't fit
              4. Looks like it is an 8.8?

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240229_110229_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.2 KB ID:	1395292 Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240229_110458_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	446.9 KB ID:	1395293 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240229_111117.jpg Views:	0 Size:	247.8 KB ID:	1395294
              Last edited by Grand1; 02-29-2024, 12:36 PM.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

I'm guessing that gasket you got is for the "wrong" 8.5" diff, the 79- 8.5" diff is probably a smaller ring gear in the 8.8 housing. Quick comparison by eye says that looks like an 8.8 and will probably fit an 8.8 gasket.
                Also that massive pinion is kinda hilarious.
                1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

It's a 8.5 but the parts store might not know they exist. Order the 8.8 gasket.

Was wondering if you had a 7.5 when I read your post, but it's not. At one point, some reference source listed the 7.5 as a possibility for the early boxes but I have yet to see one.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

That pinion is pretty funny. Reminds me of the weird 2.29 pinion Chebroaly used in trucks with the 4 speed with granny low gear.
                    All FORD All The Time

Comment

Working...
                    X