No announcement yet.

1997 Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could sue in small claims court depending upon the amount you are suing for and the state limit. At least your court costs would be minimal and perhaps just mentioning it to the shop may "motivate" them into a better deal. Worth a shot if you have the time and stomach to see it through if they don't blink.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

At least the shop is offering to do something to fix your car. Granted you could sue, win and get a judgment in your favor. Good luck in collecting on that judgement though. The bonus is getting a parts car that you could strip, then send the remains to scrap, maybe get a few bucks back. I would make sure whoever works on the car knows what they are doing. No cutting and splicing wires or other stupid stuff. If the shop's insurance company gets involved, I would think they would just total the car and cut a check. Depending on the State, you may or may not get to keep your car. You have done a nice job with your car so maybe what they are offering is a blessing in disguise.

Comment

Got the car back. I’m both happy and unhappy.

Long story short, they couldn’t source a junk car or the harness itself. They asked and I gave the permission to do a bypass fix AKA a jerry rig.

What I’m happy about? Well for one I’m glad to have the Merc back in my driveway. Seemed like I would never get it back. Next, one of the shop’s techs removed the harness and repaired it himself at home over the weekend. He took pictures on his phone and showed me the step by step of repair he did. It appears that he really took his time and did a good job on repairing the harness, though he had to bypass a plastic plug that was charred. The re-install almost looks factory I figure most people would not notice that there was a repair made, unless you’re a car guy/panther fan.

I’m also happy with how the dual exhaust came out. It sounds really good and visually looks very classy, IMO. Unfortunately the exhaust has been largely overshadowed by this whole cluster-F.

What I’m unhappy about? For starters, the fire destroyed the transmission cable and so that had to be replaced. Now the car has a hard time finding gears when sitting still. For example, reverse is almost impossible to find unless you hit that sweet spot — doesn’t matter if you’re coming out of park or drive. This was never an issue before, obviously. Also, there now seems to be a problem with the brake-lock solenoid (or the ignition cylinder) as now the car doesn’t seem to realize it’s in park and I have to finagle with the gear shifter just to be able to turn the ignition cylinder all the way back to take the key out. Seems like a perfectly fine vehicle now has new issues popping out of the wood works, which I knew would happen.

Secondly, they told me that they had to replace both my air condenser and my radiator.. free of charge (yeah, right, I paid for it, believe you me...) because apparently something happened with “jacking it up” and they busted the radiator or something, I don’t know, they weren’t making sense. The air condenser certainly does not *look* new, so it may be a used part. The radiator definitely is new. I don’t know what the hell they’re doing. He said he just wanted to be honest and upfront about what happened though it isn’t exactly clear “what happened”.

Unfortunately they charged me for the whole deal. Granted, they gave me a “discount” on labor and then split the cost 50/50.. which still ended up costing me a pretty penny.

Last edited by hot__box; 02-24-2022, 11:54 AM.

1997 Grand Marquis — Alpine, JVC 6x8, Kicker 6x9, Kicker CX Series Amp, Kicker 12” Subs, Dual Exhaust, Chrome Tips, CV Sport Rims, 5%, Sylvania ZXE’s, ETC.
        1994 Crown Vic1999 Cherokee XJ2021 F-250 4X41985 Impala “Hot Box”

Comment

If the trany cable is installed properly and the shift mechanism is adjusted as well, the conditions you mentioned should not exist. Could be a simple adjustment assuming they didn't screw up anything in the shift steering column. If you had a clear accounting of what you were expected to pay BEFORE they "messed up things while jacking it up" there obliviously should be no extra charge. Not knowing exactly how this ordeal played out makes it difficult at best to comment upon but something doesn't sound right! Glad you have the car back but maybe time to look around for another shop?

Comment

Hopefully it is an adjustment needed like you said. Does anyone have some quick instructions on how to attempt to adjust the shift mechanism? Transmissions are my weakest link. At this point I wouldn’t put it past them if anything else was messed up.

Just for clarity for those reading this thread; no, they did not charge me for the radiator or A/C condenser. It comes up on the invoice as “0.00”... but what I meant is you can believe they made up for it with the other charges.

There was never a “clear” understanding on what it was supposed to cost other than the initial exhaust work.. (which is, if you remember, the only reason I went there in the first place!). First it was we’re gonna charge half-cost labor if you pay for the donor car and tow. THEN it was aw man if it’s about the money don’t worry about it we’ll get it done for free. Then it was aw well we got to pay the guys for taking care of this on their time off, and all this other B.S. Ended up costing twice as much as I initially expected for only the exhaust work.

FWIW, the guy slipped up and mentioned that as soon as the fire started, the quickly unhooked the battery. Implying that the battery was connected when they started welding.. which means likely the welding that could have possibly shorted out that faulty brake harness and set it ablaze.. 100% their fault.

I do most car maintenance myself, but I don’t do exhaust work. Only reason I went there in the first place. For transparency, I have dealt with these guys for over 10 years and that’s the reason why I’m not naming them or deliberately trying to smear their name, but I do feel like I got screwed. Lesson learned.
            Last edited by hot__box; 02-24-2022, 02:14 PM.

1997 Grand Marquis — Alpine, JVC 6x8, Kicker 6x9, Kicker CX Series Amp, Kicker 12” Subs, Dual Exhaust, Chrome Tips, CV Sport Rims, 5%, Sylvania ZXE’s, ETC.

Comment

Sucks to hear. Just another example why I do every living thing possible to my car myself. Also like you custom, like full on bends and stuff, is something I cannot do.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

If your car had a personality, I would think it would be very glad to be out of that shop, and hopes to never return.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

That recall started when F-150's were burning down houses while they were parked in garages and driveways. Affected my 99 Expedition. The first "fix" was the dealer just unplugged the connector on the master cylinder which disabled the cruise control. When they became available, they installed that jumper harness with the fuse. But they zip-tied it to the metal brake line which only set up another potential short. The issue was one of those wires was "hot at all times" which is how parked vehicles were burning up.

Comment

I go straight to work on a graveyard shift...

I couldn’t stand seeing my hard work (Power lead for the amp) charred up in my otherwise clean engine bay. Low key I wanted to inspect the wire anyways, since the loom was burnt thru in a few pinhole sized spots.

Started by taking that wire loom off. It was kinda crispy, but it did it’s job.

Sourced some red loom to replace the old with.

That looks a lot better.

Comment

Rear window regulator.

If anybody ever thinks that the rear regulator may be easier to replace than the front.. think again, it’s way harder.

Stay Tuned!

Comment

I've done every regulator on my car at this point and it's cakey-cake 30-40 minute jobs... now. First one was definitely a bugger, but once you get it, you've got it.

Removing that outer chrome trim definitely helps when you rotate the window up and out of the car. Just gotta remove a little acorn nut towards the B-Pillar and swing that trim up and off the car.

My Cars:
                        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Happy Mardi Gras! Celebrating the day off today by giving the Marquis a well deserved wash and detail. Figured the car deserved it after all it’s been thru lately

Shampooed the carpet and vacuumed the interior

Kinda sucks but the driver’s seat is completely trashed. it’s hard to even clean the remnants of the leather left. I never could understand how some seats got so torn up! In all the years and all the cars I’ve owned the worst I’ve ever done was a tiny tear in the seat. I see cars with seats like this and it really makes me wonder what the hell happened.

I’d really like to take the car to a upholstery shop to have the seats completely redone in the same or similar two tone scheme. Currently wondering how much I trust this car in anyone’s hands other than my own...

Small engine bay detail:

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                          Removing that outer chrome trim definitely helps when you rotate the window up and out of the car. Just gotta remove a little acorn nut towards the B-Pillar and swing that trim up and off the car.
                          LOL, good to know for next time.
                          Last edited by hot__box; 03-01-2022, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Nice looking car. I think the HPP wheels would compliment it rather nicely. I dig the powder blue CapRice in the background.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I tend to like the "teardrop" rims.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                                I dig the powder blue Caprice in the background.
                                I noticed that too, care to tell a bit about it?
                                1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                                1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Working...
                                X