No announcement yet.

Ian's Boxy Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice video. Looking forward to more of them.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

More videos uploaded if you are into that kind of thing.
      Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

Comment

The radiator in the 79 looks giant compared to later cars. Nice 92. Import from AZ?
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
          The radiator in the 79 looks giant compared to later cars. Nice 92. Import from AZ?
          He did mention that it's not the factory radiator. That being said, my '85 rad looks almost identical.
          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
          1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230108_192423625.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	1384959
            Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
            Yes it is. Way cleaner underneath than my wagon.

On a side note there is a two pin plug that is not connected to anything-on the passenger side (circled above).
            Any idea what it is? I don't see anyplace it might go and cant find it in olnile pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by ianmcc View Post

Name:	PXL_20230108_192423625.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	1384959

Yes it is. Way cleaner underneath than my wagon.

On a side note there is a two pin plug that is not connected to anything-on the passenger side (circled above).
              Any idea what it is? I don't see anyplace it might go and cant find it in olnile pictures.
              Only thing I could think of that a connector like that would be going to is a coolant temperature sensor. Not sure if the early Aeros did it, but the late Aeros use two sensors in their coolant crossovers, one that communicated with the PCM and one to drive the temperature gauge.

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

+1 that's the connector for the 2-pin engine coolant temp sensor that should be on that side of the coolant crossover just behind the alternator. All aeros should have that one as that's the sensor the PCM uses to get temp info. The single pin sensor for the instrument cluster gauge should be on the other side next to the thermostat housing.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well I went out Pick n Pull browsing today and all of the early CV GMs have this same plug floating in the breeze so I am not worrying about it.
                  But I did find the source of the coolant leak (I hope anyway) and found another surprise.

Name:	PXL_20230113_185746763.MP.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	1385111
                  That's the smaller heater core hose.

Name:	PXL_20230113_185726474.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	1385113

That's going to need replacing.
                  Attached Files

Comment

OK so we had a blast of polar vortex and a bunch of snow here in Southern Alberta and while lowering the passenger side window to bottom I heard a sound of something falling into the door.
                    Window was sunk into the bottom and I think I got the regulator stuck at the top of the door.
                    In the cold light of the next morning (today) this is what I find.

Name:	PXL_20230128_184341131.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	1385613 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230128_212242966.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	1385615

The only car in the local Picky Pull is a 91 GM and the guts look like this.

Name:	PXL_20230128_211601035.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	1385618

Can I interchange the 91 GM into my 79? They sure look the same aside from the differing materials.
                    And what all do I need to interchange (aside from a drill to drill out the rivets!)
                    Attached Files

Comment

Wow. I had no Idea the early cars used a plastic regulator track

As long as the window holes are in the same place id say to go for it.

A punch and hammer may help popping out the center of the rivets first. A basic socket should get you by.
                      Last edited by 87gtVIC; 01-28-2023, 07:45 PM.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Everything looks like it would match up.
                        Wish it was warmer out there as the wind chill chased me out of the yard. And if I am grabbing one I may as well grab all four while I am at it.

Comment

And a quick update on the 92 GM-pulled the cracked EGR line to assess the next step.

Name:	Screenshot 2023-01-28 170402.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	1385623
                          Attached Files

Comment

also have never seen an all-plastic window mech. Guessing Ford had problems with it and changed to metal. I'd think it ought to interchange, the doors and the glass did not change so far as I know.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Never seen that myself either. Even the newer ones are only partially plastic but mostly metal.
                              What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                              What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Another video up on my channel if you like that kinda stuff please like and subscribe!

Here's to having good neighbors! Gonna be a bit of a mess around here as we work on not one but two Panthers at the same time.

You will see why I have two Panthers on the driveway!

One concern I see is this.

Gasket is a new Fel Pro and was sealed in the package marked for 92-94 4.6L motors.
                                Looking at similar engine pics I do see the same thing.
                                Look to the left of the intake opening with the heater hose cut short.

Just snug for now but anyone else run into this issue?
                                Is it an issue?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X