Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blaze's 86 SVt Vic (The on-going project)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, if you dispose of the stock block on the frame, that takes care of the metering valve. You could try pulling the metering function out of the stock valve before switching over to the adjustable just to see if that changes things to your liking. You can also take the thing apart, remove both the stock metering and proportioning functions and leave it alone as a handy dandy junction block. Just add the new prop valve between the old frame mounted block and the line feeding the rear brakes.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok, so I was looking at your cardomain, and I noticed what appears to be a front air dam...what is that and where did you find it?
      Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
      New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

It's an OEM piece. Most of the Police models have it, though some civilian and station wagon's have it. Honestly doesn't do much if anything as it's fairly flimsy. That way it folds over if you drive over something, and then pops back into place.

Comment

It is a Ford piece that was included in the r134a retrofit kit. Some later flush bumper boxes had them factory, too. 1987cp has the P/N and an original receipt from one somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
            It is a Ford piece that was included in the r134a retrofit kit. Some later flush bumper boxes had them factory, too. 1987cp has the P/N and an original receipt from one somewhere.
            well thats interesting. never would have thought that anyone would put enough effort into a retrofit kit to come up with ways to improve airflow across the condensor. it makes good sense, but it just seems like one of those things nobody would care about.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

As with most things from Ford, that's not an absolute truth. My Vic has always had this air damn, and it wasn't converted from R12 till late 90's. Not saying you are wrong or anything, just that there are also cars that came with this factory even before 88. There are also different style ones too. The 79-81 have a wider version of the same part with openings in them (almost like the bumpers with the openings). I tried to get one but never did.
              Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 04-07-2010, 12:12 AM.

Comment

I wonder if that'd give a fuel economy boost. It's shaped A LOT like some of the stuff people on gassavers.org put on pickups and older cars, and I've seen claimed gains in the 10-15% highway range.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

It's original purpose was to reduce drag. Any kind of air damn is trying to block air flow from hitting the under carriage. So it's possible, but seeing as our cars are fairly non-aerodynamic, I'm not sure you would see a 10% difference in just that, but maybe.

Comment

I always thought the air damns helped to bring air up into the intake hose, I know on pre EFI cars this was not possible as the intake was just an air cleaner on a carb, but I guess you learn something new every day.
                    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Well I did some playing around since I put some "new" tires on the Vic.....so naturally I had to finish off the old ones that did have a little tread left. Enjoy!

First one is normal video, and the second can be viewed in 720p HD (was filmed with a GoPro Hero HD.)

Comment

Such win. Scary seeing the rear axle moving all around while doing that. Did you get the adjustable proportioning valve in there yet?
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          Such win. Scary seeing the rear axle moving all around while doing that. Did you get the adjustable proportioning valve in there yet?
                          Actually no :/ but I will once these bushings come in. I've got a set of rear poly bushings on order, and when they come in I am going to take the rear end out of the car and clean it all up. And install the prop. valve then as well.

Comment

I replaced the stock rubber bushings with ES poly bushings on the rear control arms. I installed a new cast aluminum diff cover with carrier bearing cap supports. I powder coated the cover with a transparent Hawaiian blue when I got it. You can see how close it is to the Police rear anti-sway bar, but it does clear! You will have to remove (or at least lower) the bar to install this cover. I also installed a new brake line since it was the last of the old hoses on the car. Feels great, and now I have no more wheel hop no matter how aggressive I get with it. Some future drifting videos are in order for sure!

Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 05-14-2010, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Looks great. I always wondered what kind of clearance there would be to the rear sway bar. It's closer than I thought. How is the clearance to the gas tank?

Comment

Looks great. I always wondered what kind of clearance there would be to the rear sway bar. It's closer than I thought. How is the clearance to the gas tank?
                                Not even a concern. More than 2"-4" or so.

Comment

Working...
                                X