The possibility of the end of an era...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL

Does what we drive affect how we drive? That’s the question posed by Quality Planning , an analytics company that works with auto insurers. The resulting top ten of the list contains a few predictable entries, but it’s not entirely comprised of flashy red sports cars.
    1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
    2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pesty351 View Post
      MPG doesn't mean shit when you spend 30k on a car. I'll take my 1k cars and get 15-20mpg thank you.
      30k? Try 23.
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

going with a stripped gti or a fully loaded one tom.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
        -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
        1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

every single person who i know who has owned a vw has had issues with it, not to mention very expensive, if i were to buy a new car it would prob be a new stang even the v6 now has 300 ponies and gets 31 mpg the 400 hp 5.0 gets 27 or so whats not to like? so whats this about mileage and fun factor?
          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I think the opinions of most of you guys are EXTREMELY subjective...

I will NOT go with a stripped down GTI, as they are expensive and guzzle the premium stuff.

I don't want to start getting nasty with my comments (we're all friends here, remember?) so if I were you, I would keep the negativity to yourselves. I have learned in my years to stop being such a car snob!

Comment

Your Money your prerogative , Buy what you want and enjoy the hell out of it
              Last edited by hypostang; 07-08-2011, 11:39 PM.
              sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                for what 10 mpg more highway?
                keep what you got, stay out of debt.........we are going down the tubes in a big way
                Cash is the way to pay if you can.
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Do it do it do it. I friend of mine had a 09 diesel Jetta and averaged 45mpg around locally and when he made the highway trip from here to Philly he averaged 52mpg and it's quick enough to be entertaing to drive... And and and lol they look pretty nice also. Hell when the warranty is up you can throw some injectors and it, with a little larger turbo, crank the boost and have some fun.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                  Big plans

Comment

Unfortunately, some folks here just can't understand that there are more 'appealing' cars out there, than panthers. Appealing may mean fuel economy, fun to drive, style, etc.

I think everyone here can appreciate the panther, but not everyone here hails it as the best thing on the road.

Tom can and will do as he pleases. People here should be happy for someone having the means and desire to have a brand new car of their choice, regardless of whether it is the focal of this site. It is very disconcerting to share what you think is good news, and have people tell you that you are making a mistake, should be buying something else, etc.

Having just experienced driving a brand new car off the lot, I can honestly say it is/was one of the best feelings ever. I have a friend that has a new 2.5 Jetta (2011)... not a diesel, but it is still alot of car for the money. Unlike most affordable midsize cars, VWs never really feel 'cheap'... to me at least.

And this nonsense with people saying that just because there uncle's aunt's sister's, mother had issues with a VW means Tom will have the same, is just that. Nonsense.

Maybe he will get a new one when it goes out of warranty, so he never has to worry? There are people who do that.

Pictures when you get it, Tom.
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Best of luck and the important thing is to enjoy WHATEVER you buy!! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I'm going now, with a STOCK Grand Marquis.

The Wheels and stereo will LIVE ON when bolted to my F100!

Comment

I definitely like my land yachts... but I really wanna truck... and my wife really wants a jeep... but I think if I can keep any of them and make one stupid fast (with the stopping bits needed as well) it would be the aero. Just having that white with red interior granny car look and being able to haul major ass would be epic fun.

If you can afford it... by all means buy a new car. Beat the snot out of it to make sure that the kinks are worked out before the warranty is up and then drive it till it pukes ... or you decide something else is better.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
                            I'm going now, with a STOCK Grand Marquis.
                            You are on your way to trade it in??

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
                              every single person who i know who has owned a vw has had issues with it, not to mention very expensive, if i were to buy a new car it would prob be a new stang even the v6 now has 300 ponies and gets 31 mpg the 400 hp 5.0 gets 27 or so whats not to like? so whats this about mileage and fun factor?
                              You obviously do not know many people who have owned them. Over the years, the VW owners I have met in several states are some of the most satisfied car owners around....

Comment

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
                                KEEP THE GRAND MARQUIS the value of it may be worth more than the tdi because mercury just got axed.
                                You only have to put a couple of miles on a new GM to half the value. That is what attracts many people to used CV/GM cars. You can get a $30K car a couple of years later for less than $10K. There was not enough demand to keep the model alive now, and there will be low demand in the collector market later... Maintaining high value is definitely not in the top 3 for reasons someone should purchase or keep a GM/CV.

Comment

Working...
                                X