1962 Jeep (S-10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1962 Jeep (S-10)

Okay, y'all remember when I got this: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...highlight=Jeep

Now it's time to get moving on the project. I got a new gas cap for it, and mirrors I have yet to put on. Figured out it's got a reman '86-88? Computer for an Iron Duke Fiero/S10 4cylinder. No intake, no carb, busted accelerator pedal, etc.

So now it's time to put it in my old neighbor's garage, prep and paint the frame, and swap the drivetrain and stuff. Right now it's got S-10 cluster in the middle of the "dash." I'm looking at getting an entire parts vehicle to swap a drivetrain in. Here are my options in the $600-1000 range.

1. '86-'92 S-10 Iron Duke 4-cylinder manual with 5 speed transmission, couple of these units have new clutches, 600, 700, & 950 asking.

2. '87-88-89 Turbocoupe/Mustang motor (waiting on measurments to see if it fits lengthwise) but that's 190hp as opposed to the Duke's '90. 1 or 2 available currently with shall we say issues, $800-1000 asking.

3. '03-'04 Wrecked/Salvage Ranger 2.3L 16valve motor and auto transmission, respectable 143 hp great fuel economy, OBDII etc $800-1000 obo two units found so far, one manual.

I'm not that worried about it being underpowered, and buying a complete vehicle will give me a spare cluster, steering column, brake parts, etc, everything I can strip basically. I can link to actual ads if anyone wants to give an opinion. Thanks. I don't want to do a 4.3 swap, nor a V8 as this thing has MANUAL brakes, no boosty goodness.
    2.5L Iron Duke 90hp 4-cyl 5sp Trans
    0%
    TurboCoupe 2.3 190hp, T-5 tranny
    0%
    Ranger 2.3 with auto (or manual)
    0%
    Other (No 4.3, No V8)
    0%

The poll is expired.

Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Frame swap to a proper CJ/YJ frame, use a 258 or 4.0 I6.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I did bookmark this '89: http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/5185200940.html for possible drivetrain/computer swap, but most jeeps in the 1000 range are a gentle tap with a hammer from the frame breaking they're so rusty. Plus I don't think they're 80-81" wheelbase either. Also I know nothing about the 4.0, but I have an irrational hatred of it already.
      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

the inline 6 4L jeep engine is as legendary as the ford 300 straight 6. both are damn near indestructible as long as you change the oil sometimes.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

its a tough motor. They mostly sound like they are about to explode just because of the valvetrain noise but it goes and goes. Based on the old AMC 232 and 258 actually. If it was good enough for the Gremlin, its good enough for a Jeep
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Really just want to get it on the road now, just because in goes a Chevy 4-cylinder doesn't mean I can't do a full chassis swap to a decent period correct frame/drivetrain, etc in 5-6 years when/if I have 30k in the bank.

Here's a '63 http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/5258063185.html
            & here's a '59 http://toledo.craigslist.org/cto/5236081521.html
            Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 10-08-2015, 07:33 PM.

Comment

the frame will probably be the expensive part. The motors are a dime a dozen (at least down here).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

If its a case of 'do it now on the cheap', then a carb Iron Duke will probably get you there with the least amount of bullshit. 80s S10's had them, so they will bolt to the frame and a trans would not be hard to source. Should be a simple matter of using an 80s S10 radiator, hoses, and accessory brackets too.

Comment

There's a half-dozen EFI iron dukes from the '86-92 S-10s available from $600-1000 price range and it already has a spare reman computer for the engine, s10 column and fuse box/spaghetti mess. Of course then I go and find this ad today for a '91 Commanche 2wd Auto 4.0L $800 http://toledo.craigslist.org/cto/5260325199.html

Comment

Comment

Got a line on a '72 225 Slant Six with Auto Trans for $350...

Comment

Those are virtually indestructible. Fairly low profile too, just have to watch that it will fit between the wheel wells. It needs a lot more horizontal clearance than an upright inline , though considering these take a V8 you should be plenty good.

Comment

also, vapor lock on the carbed slants was an issue. Heat soak was a horrible thing. Putting an EFI setup on one would solve that though.

Comment

you'd be into aftermarket stuff at that point. Shame the old HyperPak intakes are not so easy to source. Those longer runners would put the carb further away from the exhaust manifold.

Is this a SuperSix with the 2bbl carb or the standard with the weenie 1bbl? They run better with the 2bbl carb.

Comment

I don't know what carb it has. The one previously mentioned says 104k doesn't smoke needs water pump and valve cover gasket. https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5263859719.html Then I just found another purporting 66k (but doesn't say it's a 225) $175 obo kinda local http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/pts/5259109451.html Also doesn't say which carb.

I don't know if I should tell the guy with the $350 I found one cheaper and grab the local one if it's still available, or what. I haven't seen pics of the one in Columbus.

Comment

Working...
                              X