My 1986 Dodge D-150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progress!

I will also second what Thain said; known issue that the sprag can fail and cause this type of carnage.

I watched a YT video of Uncle Tonys Garage one time, and he briefly went into details, but basically sprag failure is a possibility any time it is "shocked". When it fails the transmission free wheels at 2X engine RPM which is often enough to make a stock stamped front drum explode (from centripetal acceleration). Common failure scenarios include neutral drops, or a burnout starting in first, and then rapid release of the throttle are a relatively common cause of the failure.

**2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Thats the same video I saw, after the guy tried to do a burnout and the transmission puked in front of the shop.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hmmm... interesting failure form in that regard. Nothing like having a transmission physically explode.

What I remember being told was the husband was leaving a gas station and it just kinda quit moving forwards. Didn't mention any earth shattering kaboom, but hey, I wasn't there when it quit. I still kinda suspect the goofballs who "uninstalled it" are the ones who tore it up.

I also did a little reading and I think I know why the torque converter didn't just walk right up where it needs to go. The converter snout centers in the back of the crank bore. That bore has some surface rust in it due to how long it was exposed, and I bet it's not letting the snout slide in easily. I'll probably try shooting some penetrating lubricant up in there first and seeing if I can work it that way while working the converter back and forth, otherwise I'll need to back the transmission out again and clean the bore up with a wire wheel. Not great, not terrible.

Here's the rear crank bore for reference:
        Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 03-20-2024, 10:04 PM.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Working...
        X