New Steering Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Steering Wheel

Saw a couple of post about steering wheel and have been wanting a new one n e ways, so i gave it a shot. they dont actually make a direct adapter for the "bagged" boxes but i got the one for 91 and up ford vehicles from grant. the only thing that matched up was the steering shaft bolt, i dont have a horn now and didnt use cruise control, even on long trips, so i just bolted it in, the main problem was removing the factory hub with all the wires in it, i didnt plan on removing it to try to save my horn, but when my factory wheel came off the ribbon harness inside the hub kinna came with it, so it is possible to do but i had issues, i think i will try to fix the horn later if i dont just put a button on the dash, and im trying to think of something to fil in the rest of the gap to the column, but here is some pics.

:merk:

That looks great. I like what you are doing with it.
    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Me to have you tried to use a peace of aluminum to fill the gap? that might work there.do they make a 140 speedo for your car? In white would be so bad ass
      Last edited by interceptor1985; 09-12-2006, 12:26 AM.
      YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

thanks,havent thought about aluminum yet, i was trying to find a round shift boot big enough to cover, the only one that ive seen so far is the civic si 02-05 with the dash shifter, but havent got my hands on one yet. i dont think they make one for the GM, unless i could find one out of a CV like a PI edition or something, i think i remember reading about that on here ill look for it
        Last edited by tp8728; 09-12-2006, 12:50 AM.

Comment

I like those grant wheels alot. Looks really nice.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
          My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

You can use a CV PI speedo, it just wont be silver. Same thing though as far as I'm aware.

I like the wheel. Will your state fail you for inspection if the horn doesn't work or if you've removed the bomb from the wheel?
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hmm...That gets me thinking. The adapter I have in my car is for an airbag car. That's prolly why the wheel sits so far out....I'll have to look into that...

Oh, and the car looks great!
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

airbag is the least for you problems you don't really need an airbag 3400 pounds of ford metal hope you get that horn working

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                  I like the wheel. Will your state fail you for inspection if the horn doesn't work or if you've removed the bomb from the wheel?
                  they do emmissions testing county by county so depending on where im living they dont even see the car, i guess ill find out for sure next time i get pulled over if their gonna say anything or not. i dont think the horn means anything but i havent looked into that yet.

Originally posted by mrltd
                  The adapter I have in my car is for an airbag car. That's prolly why the wheel sits so far out....
                  your adapter may be different, but depending on what series you have, the braketing behind the wheel is different that bolts to the steering hub, mine is a signature series and its a little longer than what id like it to be.

Comment

Good luck with it and it looks great!
                    YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Originally posted by tp8728
                      they do emmissions testing county by county so depending on where im living they dont even see the car, i guess ill find out for sure next time i get pulled over if their gonna say anything or not. i dont think the horn means anything but i havent looked into that yet.
                      Must be a PA guy then? If so, don't you still get a safety inspection?
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

TN, when i had to do emmissions they dont require that you get out of the car, they do plug into obd sensors but thats only on 96 and up, dont recall any saftey inspections though, the might just look to see if its there or not

Comment

By the looks of it, it's the same adapter. I'm running a Grant GT F1 wheel in my car. I did some searching on thier site, doesn't look like there is much I can do other than modify the setup I have.
                          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                          X