Town Car Airbags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Town Car Airbags

What do I need from the town car if I want to use the airbags?
    1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX.
    -3.73s' w/ Track Loc - KYB GR-2 Shocks All Around - TRW HD Cargo Coils Rear - Moog Front Coils - 1 Inch Rear Sway Bar - 4.6 Lower Air Box- Stock Headers - Off Road H Pipe - Turbo Mufflers.

4 Door Muscle
    Supermotors

wire, ride height sensor, relay, compressor, bags, line, and the valves.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

And the air ride controller.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, but I figure there has to be an easier way around that with that sensor and some relays.

Comment

Not easily. The height sensor isn't an on/off/on type affair. Its a variable resistor. You'd need to build some sort of logic circuit to determine whether to energise the vent or the compressor based on resistance. Handily enough, Ford built one of those exact devices and included it with the car. There really arent all that many wires involved. 3 to the sensor, a couple out to the relay, and a few power wires is about it really.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hmm, I just saw the diagnostic connector in my trunk for it and figured it was some freaky cpu running the whole deal.

Comment

Yeah it does have one but the controller shouldn't be all that huge. The pre-diag computers are tiny, but they dont have outputs for the vent solenoids. I guess it would be possible to rig a relay bank to open the vent solenoids on the bags both when the compressor runs and when the thing vents. The older auto-level just has one relay for the compressor and a vent at the compressor itself, no solenoids on the air shocks. The whole thing stays pressurized.

Comment

Every time I shut my car down and get out it lets air out.

Comment

oh, yeah that. it ties in to the door switches or some bs. I think its for little old ladies with the 3 inch legs to get out of the car easier. Could probably just not bother to hook that up.

Comment

It's a safety feature - air ride doesn't run with door open, or within the first minute or two after the door has been closed. You may be able to bypass that, but you have to know which wires to short/cut. If my car didn't already have self-levelling suspension I'd still install the compressor and the air shocks (probably bags actually), then run thr compressor manually based on my dashboard aircraft-type gage readings.

Comment

Working...
                    X