bad speedo cable? -- '89 CV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad speedo cable? -- '89 CV

I just put in a new speedo cable last weekend because the old one was causing the needle to bounce. The new cable fixed that and worked fine all of last week. On my way to work this morning (-22 deg. F. weather) I noticed that the speedo wasn't working. After work, my boss let me roll the car in the shop and check it out. The cable was still hooked up at the speedometer. I'm sure it's still hooked into the trans because it was a good fit and the clip held it good and solid.

Could it be a faulty cable? I'm picking up a new cable tomorrow, but with temps topping out at 0 deg. F. for the next week, I'm not going to get under the car. When the weather shapes up, I'll replace the cable along with the speedometer (have a 140 going in). What is the gizmo called that the cable plugs into on the transmission? Could that cause my dead speedometer?

I'd check the connections again, make sure it's actually seated. Also, pull the speed sensor out and make sure that's not damaged. The speedo itself could also be bad. I put my used 140 in and it broke the stock cable, and even with the new cable it bounces, so I need another speedo
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I just laugh at mine when it bounces off 0-25....well, not much anymore but it can be funny. :p
      '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

It likely isn't seated, Ive had that happen before. Damn I hate working in the dashes of these cars, well most cars actually.
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Backed out of the garage this morning and heard two *clicks* from the cable. Drove off and the damn thing worked. Somedays I shouldn't even bother.

Comment

Yea, when I put my 140 speedo in, the dial just kept bouncing around like mad. Switched back to the 85, and it was fine.

So what exactly does cause that, and how much would it be to fix the 140?
            1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
            1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
            1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Working...
            X