79 steering wheel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 steering wheel question

As you all know i am making a " 79 clone ", so i am looking for a 79 steering wheel, plastic one thats in good shape, any way i was just wondering if it is on a splined coloum? and if my 84 would have the splined coloum or the newer style? and if mine has the newer style how much work would it take to switch the shaft?

You more than likely have to change the column also. 84 was the change to the newer column, IIRC
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I'm pretty sure '84 is still the same. That was the last year for the horn on the turn signal stalk, so..yea.
      '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

next time u come down we look, i have parts from both types sitting in the garage, we can try them out

Comment

ok cool

Comment

Originally posted by Dave84 View Post
            As you all know i am making a " 79 clone ", so i am looking for a 79 steering wheel, plastic one thats in good shape, any way i was just wondering if it is on a splined coloum? and if my 84 would have the splined coloum or the newer style? and if mine has the newer style how much work would it take to switch the shaft?
            Hey, if you come up with an extra good splined wheel, let me know. I sometimes get annoyed with my fingers getting pinched every time I turn a corner. Personally, I'd probably dispense with the early splined wheel in a conversion just because the later non-splined wheels are so much easier to come by.

Guys in the know - is it hard to install the horn-on-the-turn-signal-switch thing on a later car? Is the switch a bolt-on? Would I need anything other than just the switch and a few wiring connectors?
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Might not be the same steering shaft, my 80' zephyr had a splined shaft while my 83' parts car had a round shaft with one notch (D-shaped), past that fords should have a double D shaped shaft.
              -Matt
              1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                Hey, if you come up with an extra good splined wheel, let me know. I sometimes get annoyed with my fingers getting pinched every time I turn a corner. Personally, I'd probably dispense with the early splined wheel in a conversion just because the later non-splined wheels are so much easier to come by.

Guys in the know - is it hard to install the horn-on-the-turn-signal-switch thing on a later car? Is the switch a bolt-on? Would I need anything other than just the switch and a few wiring connectors?
                Multifunction switch bolts up and plugs in the same, should just be a matter of moving wires from the center pad to the stalk switch. I have a 1984 switch in my car, 84 has the stalk horn where my 86 has the wheel center horn. I dispensed with the 84's lever so it wouldn't push in, but the electrical part is still there. You do loose the flash to pass function from the newer MF switch, but no great loss there.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Multifunction switch bolts up and plugs in the same, should just be a matter of moving wires from the center pad to the stalk switch. I have a 1984 switch in my car, 84 has the stalk horn where my 86 has the wheel center horn. I dispensed with the 84's lever so it wouldn't push in, but the electrical part is still there. You do loose the flash to pass function from the newer MF switch, but no great loss there.
                  Doesn't sound bad, then. By "flash to pass", do you mean the capability to flash the high beams without clicking them fully on?
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                  X