Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police pod install on ATC equipped vehicle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks nice. Fuck computer codes, just check your gauges. You could probably graph out the vitals at different rpms to figure shit out!
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Hey, where'd ya get the pods? looks like they hug the pillars pretty well.

I was always a little leery of those things, thinking they'd leave big gaps because they wouldn't fit exactly, but yours look like they fit really good!

I'd like to stick a couple gauges in mine, but don't want to go hacking up the dash, and there's not really enough room underneath. I use the ashtray, so pods would be perfect.
      People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

Originally posted by fordktpjoe View Post
        Hey, where'd ya get the pods? looks like they hug the pillars pretty well.

I was always a little leery of those things, thinking they'd leave big gaps because they wouldn't fit exactly, but yours look like they fit really good!

I'd like to stick a couple gauges in mine, but don't want to go hacking up the dash, and there's not really enough room underneath. I use the ashtray, so pods would be perfect.
        They are Sunpro universal gauge pods. Don't let the universal fool you, because they DO NOT under any circumstance fit without modifying them. Indeed mine fit perfect, because many hours went into making them that way.

I used a heat gun to mold the pod over the a pillar. Now heating the pod stretches and loosens the pod material so then hard edges will look wavy. After you get the profile of the pod to match the profile of the a pillar molding you will need to cut down all of the wavy edges to make the pod look nice and sharp and straight. To cut the edges of the pod i used a hacksaw and a miter box, and for the long vertical sides i used a rotary tool to smooth it out. And then some sand paper to take out any remaining defects.

To secure the pod to the a pillar you use some nice black silicone. The silicone is extremely strong, i smashed my head into the pod, both the dual and single pod, so many time (don't let this discourage you) and it never budges, it really is strong.

And there you have it you very own a pillar pod.

I removed mine because i recently learned about the police pods and wanted a change. I do like my a pillar pods but for the time being i am truly drooling over my latest pod install.

some pics of the pods since they are right next to me at the moment.

What you see there are plugholes, i originally screwed the pod into the pillar so that i can firmly wrap the pod around the pillar while i am holding the heat gun to it. Then i plugged them with some black plugs.

This is the bottom edge, where i used the miter box to cut a nice line, and you an also see a nice straight line of silicone to make the job complete.

It is a lot of work but it really is original, nobody else i seen with it done to the quality i have done it. I have seen those who just screwed the pod to the pillar with out doing any modifications and it truly looks like shit. I am a little disappointed in myself that i had to screw into it, but in order to get a nice profile that matches the profile of the pillar i needed to to stay firmly in place.

By all means please do not screw the damn thing in place without modding it, i repeat it really looks like shit.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

So far its been......however long its been and my ac and heat are still working correctly. I am very happy that everything is working properly, because i was advised not to touch it...it being over 20 years old you never know what could happen...but it is safe to say that this was done successfully.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

where did you get that 3 gauge dash bezel ? what size gauges fit ?

Comment

The 88-89 plastic panel I purchased from a member here. They came on some 88-89 Crown Vic police vehicles. The metal current one I have came off of ebay from an 86-87 Crown vic police vehicle. They both housed 2 1/16 gauges.
              ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                The 88-89 plastic panel I purchased from a member here. They came on some 88-89 Crown Vic police vehicles. The metal current one I have came off of ebay from an 86-87 Crown vic police vehicle. They both housed 2 1/16 gauges.
                are the OEM or installed during police conversion?

Comment

Originally posted by amoss2 View Post
                  are the OEM or installed during police conversion?
                  The housings are Ford parts, but not every police car had them, they were an option.
                  2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                  2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Yep. If you are planning to do this I believe ebay may have some radio gauge holders that look very similar.
                    ~David~

Comment

Working...
                    X