Vents too loose...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vents too loose...

Well, I've been ignoring the problem, and using wads of paper stuffed under the vents to prevent them from tilting all the way down all the time, but I should really do something about it.

So:

1) How are the vents actually held in place, and how do I remove them without damaging any of the plastics or anything?

2) What do I do to get them to be held more firmly for the up/down tilting?

Thanks in advance...
    1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
    Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
    Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
    Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

put some felt in between the sides of the trim and the actual vents. I did that to mine and they work great. Remove the entire pieces from the vehicle. A bunch of screws that go up into the dash pad as well as some secret ones inside the glove box and just above the radio trim panel. Once it is out you will see how the vents are retained. gotta sorta pry each edge. You will get it dont worry.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yea the felt falls out......gotta take the bezels off and take the vents out and replace the felt

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I've used the fuzzy half of velcro cut into smaller strips for this if you can't find the original felt to glue back in.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

so those bastards put felt in from the get go?
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            so those bastards put felt in from the get go?
            Yep, how else would you expect them to keep those cool looking vents in place?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
              Yep, how else would you expect them to keep those cool looking vents in place?
              i thought from day one off of the factory line that they were snug all on their own...guess not.
              ~David~

Comment

I must also do this, half of mine are flippy floppy and the other half stay where they are.
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I have one like this as well that a friend broke...just gotta straightin it out every now and then

Comment

The velcro works great... (Had to do that on my 84 Baby Ltd) I didn't even have to remove the vent, I just tilted it all the way down, stuck the velcro stuff on the inside of the vent, then put it all the way up, and did the same...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
                    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Originally posted by trwp72 View Post
                      The velcro works great... (Had to do that on my 84 Baby Ltd) I didn't even have to remove the vent, I just tilted it all the way down, stuck the velcro stuff on the inside of the vent, then put it all the way up, and did the same...
                      yea that works just as good. and its a hell of a lot less work for the same result.
                      ~David~

Comment

Look inside the vent, there is a tab on each side with a pin that goes in a hole. Use a small screwdriver and pry the taps out, you just have to move them a little to get the pin out. The vent will come out of the dash. I put a thin plastic washer over the pin on one side of the vent and put them back in. They will work like new.
                        Last edited by Glen; 05-08-2009, 03:04 PM.
                        89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

that washer trick will definitely be used by me next time my vents get loose. Seems like it can work well.
                          ~David~

Comment

Working...
                          X