power windows on an 89 town car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

power windows on an 89 town car

I just bought an 89 town car, and when i went to check it out, only the passenger side front window goes up and down. I pick the car up this weekend, but was wondering why one window works but the other 3 won't. I have had windows that stick on cars and sometimes can sort of "bang" on the lower door panel and they will work.

I smacked the lower panels while holding the switch but nothing worked. Also can't hear the motors running at all.

Is there a relay for each window, or is it likely that all 3 of these motors will need replacing? If its a relay where would I find those?
    Last edited by biglinc1; 05-06-2009, 09:53 PM.

Pull the motors out, its possible the little plastic plugs disintegrated and jammed the motors up. I've also had some luck slamming the door and getting the motors to come back to life. Also entirely possible someone spilled some crap into the switch and its not working. You'd have to check for voltage at the window motor connector to verify that tho.

No relay for the windows, no seperate fuses either.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

when i get the car i'll see if I can figure some of this out. The door panels have never been off since it was new. the car belonged to some old people around 80 years old who bought it new and never had any trouble whatsoever. I talked with them personally.

Comment

if you can hear the motors running, then the bushings in the gearpack turned to little pieces......also sometimes the little chunks jam up the motor.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I stopped today to look at it, should have the car tomorrow. Had a guy with me and we listened to each door and couldn't hear any motors running at all. The 3 doors that don't work (driver and both rear doors) there isn't a single sound being made.

I'm having a guy meet me tomorrow and he and I are going to pick it up around noon tomorrow.

Here's a pic of car... not the best and I"ll have more later, but if you guys have any more input on what this might be, let me know

thnx

Comment

Holy hell that car is nice! Apart from the paint problems, it looks really good. I like the full vinyl roof too.
            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Thanks man! There's really only a couple serious scratches on it - will throw some maguires in a couple days soon as the weather clears up, and if I win the auction for the parking lens will have that installed within a couple weeks.

Top is faded but thats a "later" project. Its a slick old ride and only has 90k on it. Soon as I wax her up, and install the light I'll get some super nice pics and post them up

Comment

it rained a flood today so wasn't messing with getting the car - think its like Noah's flood the last 2 weeks haha...

Anyway, some guy is removing the rear window tint and there was 2 or 3 layers on that, and he's supposed to put new updated tint on there. But apparenlty the side windows have 2 layers of old tint - probably close to 15+ years old on there.

Was wondering, would it be possible that the old tint is stuck and causing the windows not to operate since we think the sides have 2 layers also. Either way, dont think they ahve been used in several years. Could that tint have become a bond between the window and the felt around the window causing it not to slide down or is that not possible.

Comment

Looks nice. I like the ragtops on some of those, they look good on white especially.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

nice.....dont let it get away!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                      nice.....dont let it get away!
                      its not going anywhere, ive already paid for it.... i'm trying to figure out about the power windows tho

Comment

test the master switch first
                        if that is ok, you will have to pull the motors......take them apart and then try to run the motor......i fixed a towny last sun, one window ran one didnt, so i told her to get me a pack of bushings and a new motor.......when she left, i took the old motor apart and a piece of the gear was jammed and the motor wouldnt spin.....once i unjammed it, it worked, so i put it on my pile of good need to be rebuilt window motors

Comment

I had thick window tint on my car at some point and it didnt prevent the window from working but it sure hindered it performance. Just out of curiosity do the cigarette lighters work on the doors where the window do not work? I once had a strange problem where the drivers side door window and cigarette lighter wouldnt work, BUT the lock and mirror did work. It turned out to be a connector in a harness behind the kick panel fell out. never know just try all the simple things before ripping apart the entire car.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

my problem i kno nothing about electrical things whatosoever. i may ahve to resell this car or soemthhng if its fixing motors because i dont know what a windows motor bushing is or how u fix it.... i dont even know how to take off a door panel... never did that before in my life....

you guys got me worried now - i spend 2500 for this ride and only 1 window works - so maybe i got taken by the owner and i need my drivers window and back windows to roll down. i only have the front side that works and i cant get it insured under classic cars (the cheap insurance) wihtout getting the windows to work and i have to do that monday. and since its financed i have to get full coverage andotherwise i'm stuck =/

edit: plus i gotta get those windows down so i can get them retinted on the sides too - since th back will be tinted one type and the sides still have the old 20 year old tint and its ugly and really bad.

Comment

The motors are a piece of cake to rebuild. There is a sticky here somewhere on exactly what you need and how to do it. ALl it requires is a drill and a couple of common tools.

Think of pulling a door panel as getting laid for the first time. Just because you haven't done it before doesn't mean you can't do it. Good thing too, or the entire human race would have ceased to exist before it ever got started.

Comment

Working...
                              X