Speedo Restore...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo Restore...

I have spent the better part of the day rebuilding the speedo on my 91. The gears for the odometer and trip odometer have been stripped for a while, and both have not worked for about a year... This is a common thing down here in the south, the original gears last about 3 years, and then crumble and fall apart... due to the heat. I found a company that does new gears in a different type of plastic, so they are supposed to last longer. The owner pf the company said he has been selling them for about 8 years, and has yet to have any come back... I DID have a guy in New Orleans that made them out of brass, which is what I wanted, but after Hurricane Katrina, I can't find him anymore. His shop was across the river from all the flooding, so his shop didn't flood or get damaged... (At least from what I could see on the satelite photos taken right after the storm.) However, I am not sure if maybe he was one of the people that had their houses destroyed, and he just moved somewhere else. Tommorow, I also have to go get a new speedo "Bucket" that everything mounts in, as this is also falling apart from the heat... There is about 8 places that screws go into that are falling apart, or cracked, and I would rather get another one instead of trying to glue this back together, and just have it break again. I'm also going tomorrow and get some flourecsent orange paint to redo the pointers on the guages, shift indicator, and the speedo needle.... they are faded quite badley.. I had some of the paint, but of course now I cen't find it!

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

This is great to hear. It would be greatly appreciated if you can take as many pictures as possible through the process as well a linky to the man with the better plastic gears so you can help out everyone else with these issues. From what i hear it is a common one across the nation.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Here is the company...

Here is the gears....

One thing, if you get these gears, you have to "grease" the gear that goes on the motor shaft to get it to go on the shaft... it is a tight fit! I used some of the electric diaelectric grease, like you use on the sparkplug boots... Also a little grease of some sort, like lubriplate, dabbed on the two gears wouldn't hurt, either.

I will take pictrures tommorow when I put the dash back together... it is pretty easy to get apart... (it will be the reverse of what I am doing tommorow)

I will also be hooking up my guages tommorow... they have been in the car for about two years, I have only hooked up the volt meter... tommorow, the oil pressure gauge, and the lights.... (Had to take the dash apart to do it... just kept putting it off!)
      Last edited by trwp72; 10-25-2009, 08:13 PM.

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
      Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

how did this work out? I'm debating whether I should just do this when I have the speedometer torn apart to restore or not. Mine still works, but it would be a precautionary measure. I kinda want a first hand opinion before a drop 40 bucks on a couple odometer gears.
        Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
        New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Originally posted by hemihotrod402 View Post
          how did this work out? I'm debating whether I should just do this when I have the speedometer torn apart to restore or not. Mine still works, but it would be a precautionary measure. I kinda want a first hand opinion before a drop 40 bucks on a couple odometer gears.
          DO IT! my trip odometer in my 140mph failed about a month after I put it in... now I have to yank it apart again to fix it. Im just going to wait till I get to working on the AC.
          "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

well after close examination of the one I have, if the 140's go out, I can just swap the other ones in. And after my other one gets here, I'll have a back up for the back up. The cost of those two odomoeter gears would buy me a nice voltometer too.
            Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
            New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

these 90+ vehicles have different internals I believe.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                these 90+ vehicles have different internals I believe.
                I was wondering that as well, I tore apart my original 85 speedometer today, and the gears look a whole lot beefier than the ones on the site. Seemed to be really durable as well, unless mine are just not that bad yet.

Comment

The broken gear is a 90+ problem.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                  X