Speedometer Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer Question

I've been lurking lately and reading about the speedo's in these cars.

Now I am curious: Is there a way to make a 90-91 Electric speedometer work in a 79-89 car? Has anyone tried? I know at minimum a VSS signal would be required, but is that all they take or is there more to it? Is the motor part of the speedo housing? Can the motor be integrated on a 79-89 speedo?

Please pardon my ignorance but I have never seen the 90-91 style up close and in person. If there's a way to eliminate that damn cable I would love it.
    sigpic
    https://www.facebook.com/jason.baker.1614
    1985 P43 Crown Vic, "Lightning Interceptor". Project is back on!
    1987 P72 Crown Vic, EFI 351W (not my conversion), rusty and crusty parts car.
    2006 Ford Fusion, 30MPG, premium sound, daily driver, 200K miles and still going.
    2011 Ford Fucus, 36MPG, Sync, wifey / baby mobile.

If it would physically fit, then it should just be a matter of wiring it up. I imagine the plugs and wiring is all different, but thats not impossible to overcome. You should have a VSS already for cruise control purposes. Should just be a matter of tapping the wiring and feeding it the speed.

I doubt you could easily add the electric movement to an older cluster. I imagine there are enough differences to make it impractical if not impossible, though I have never taken a close look at the later style cluster. I've had the cable drive ones apart several times though.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This is on my '85 which is now home to a 4r70w. I thought of this today as a way for me to cheat having to buy a speedo cable that fits a vss. The current cable is one that gets installed directly into the trans and I they are different from my understanding. I am going to need a vss for the Stang computer though so killing multiple birds with one stone is always a good thing.
      sigpic
      https://www.facebook.com/jason.baker.1614
      1985 P43 Crown Vic, "Lightning Interceptor". Project is back on!
      1987 P72 Crown Vic, EFI 351W (not my conversion), rusty and crusty parts car.
      2006 Ford Fusion, 30MPG, premium sound, daily driver, 200K miles and still going.
      2011 Ford Fucus, 36MPG, Sync, wifey / baby mobile.

Comment

Working...
      X