Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there anything that would cause water to leak..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is there anything that would cause water to leak..

...onto the rear passenger side floor? I haven't noticed an active leak, but I had a few (closed, duh) water bottles back there and meant to take them out before it dropped below freezing. I did take them out but that's not to say I fucked up and they actually froze/thawed or something...anyway, I THINK one of them might have burst, because there's water down there. Whenever I've got the car warm enough (after a while of driving) I can use paper towel and soak up some of the water but it seems to just keep soaking and soaking it up. I haven't been able to get it all yet without running out of paper towel and just saying "fuck it, it's cold out"

anyway, what do you think? Does some weather stripping somewhere wear out easily and let the floor get wet back there?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

passenger side front could be a heater core. rear, more likely either a burst water bottle or the plug in the floorpan is missing or rotted through. Theres a steel plug in the center of the rear foot area and if thats not sealed, water can be flung up through the hole and soak into the padding under the carpet. You can see it from under the car. If the fluid is kind of sticky or sweet tasting or smelling, it sounds like coolant from the heater core.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Heater core hasn't leaked at all (no passenger footbaths), and the liquid freezes. I can just have a peek under the car to see if that plug is rotten?
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

yep. if the plug is missing or it looks like swiss cheese, thats it. Could also be leaky weatherstripping around the doors. Since it freezes, that pretty well rules out a coolant leak.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I had the same problem up front. In my case, it turned out that the drain holes in the bottom of the door was clogged, causing it to fill with water in heavy rains. The door would fill to the point of the lower access holes in the door, and spill into the interior. I found it quite by accident, when I went to replace the speaker in the door, which had blown because of the water. The clogging turned out to be residual GLASS which apparently was left there by the PO. I can guess it had a broken window at one time.
          MIKE

Comment

My old '87 had that problem in the drivers rear floor board. Ltdman83 owns it now and I think he discovered the leak. Try PM'ing him.

My '82 was starting to leak around the roof moulding for the 1/2 vinyl top and also where the moulding goes down the B-Pillar. I never noticed water getting in the floor, it came out around the trim along the sides of the headliner. But it's possible. Check with LTDman83 first.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Sounds like Vicky. There were two causes on her. The front weatherstripping wasn't sealing the door. And the drains inside the doors were clogged and the water overflowed into the interior. Are your door panels wet?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                Sounds like Vicky. There were two causes on her. The front weatherstripping wasn't sealing the door. And the drains inside the doors were clogged and the water overflowed into the interior. Are your door panels wet?
                nope
                sigpic

Comment

ok so I really need to get this fixed...hasn't been bad but rained a bit recently and, yeah, needs fixing. I have all 4 doors weather stripping from a 90 GMQ but it's not all perfect...the problem areas on my car look like the stripping is rusting. The stuff from the parts car is fine but torn in some spots.

Do I need to replace weather stripping as a whole or can I cut pieces off of the other weather stripping and use it on my car? How would I fix it so the new piece doesn't leak at the new seams?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have some free time tomorrow and am determined to stop the fucking thing from leaking
                  sigpic

Comment

Piecing it together and sealing the edges may work, but it will look like ass and may just leak anyway. Gotta purchase new after market universal door seals. That will yield you your best results.

I have new weather stripping almost on my entire car (just have the window channel moldings to change) and it really makes a difference.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Do you have a link to that? How do you replace 'em? thanks
                      sigpic

Comment

Did you check those floor plugs yet?

In the pic they are in the center of the (rear) floorpan (forward of the mufflers).

Former panther owner
                        1981 CV 351 4bbl
                        1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                          Do you have a link to that? How do you replace 'em? thanks
                          Gotta try something from here: http://www.jcwhitney.com/push-on-tri.../p2008597.jcwx

I found the ones I am using so I have no idea where they came from.

And to install them just remove all of the trim around inside of the door.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

andy..looked ok but i haven't had the car up in the air yet.

dave - why that stuff in particular? this is going to get expensive as fuck at 25ish per, haha..i can't reuse any of the weather stripping from the parts car at all? like i said, it looks in fairly good shape except for where i tore a small spot or two pulling it off of the car. none of it is rotten
                            sigpic

Comment

and are those floor pan plugs available still? the fact that my door panel is never wet, and i can't see/feel a trail of water running down at all, makes me think the plug might look decent but will actually be junk once i get to inspect closely
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X