Seat Belt Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat Belt Replacement

I have a 1986 Grand Marquis. The front seatbelts are getting worn and doesn't retract well. The back seats only have lap belts.

I would like to keep the 3-point setup in the front and modernize them to a newer Grand Marquis. I would also like to convert the rears into 3-point seatbelts.

Has anyone ever replaced them with a newer version or from the junk yard? How about aftermarket seatbelts other than the 5-point NASCAR type?

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
    George Burns

The main thing is the anchor point in the car has to be strong enough to hold your body in during the event of the crash, also there is a bunch of stuff that determines how far forward or back the point is mounted, there is a lot on it on off road sites, as far as mounting locations, and the points of contact etc. I don't know how it would apply in a GMN, however it should give you an idea of the factors involved in making an aftermarket assembly safe.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

If you're having trouble with the seatbelts not retracting, I believe there is a way to disassemble the retractors and re-lube them.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

You may want to take apart a 90-91 Grand Marqius in the junkyard to see how the rear 3 point belts attach. As mentioned, you'd need to have the proper reinforcements installed, otherwise that third point in the rear won't do anything useful.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's not the retracting I have trouble with, it the clicking the buckle together. It's the old fashion setup, with the release button on the side. I want to install a newer version, with the release button on the top. (Though, I like the lube idea!)
          In my 2006 Grand Marquis, it’s easier for folks to click their seatbelts than in the 1986. I think I can swap out and bolt in the receiver end (female) with one from the junkyard and swap out the male end on the long strap to match.
          I also want to make the rear seats in my 1986 Grand Marquis like my 2006 model…a 3-point. I was wondering if anyone tried it.
          I can buy the 5-point seatbelt for the back passengers, but then they won’t be able to move much. As it is now, they're like…are you sure it's safe back here!

sigpic

George Burns

Comment

If you just want the release on the top, mount the new buckle reciever where the current one is, then put the metal male end from the new buckle on your old belt. Then it shouldn't require too much modification to mount pts. etc.
            "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

90-91 has the old style click button on the side too. I don't think they got rid of that for awhile.
              Originally posted by gadget73
              There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
              91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
              93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
              Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
              Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
              95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Just get a female end from the junkyard. They get a little funky after a while. You could hit them with some wd-40, they might free up too. Those newer style belt buckles with the red release look out of place in tht car imo. though if you still want to go to the newer buckle, if the buckle assembly is the same, you should be able to use the new one. Unless you wanted to go through the trouble to put the whole belt retractor in from the newer car.

Comment

(Now don't get too excited on how I have to discribe the seatbealts below!)

The newer style, with the red release, is more erect. That makes it easier for a one handed click. My old ones are floppy and are difficult to do a one handed click. I have some friends with service related disabilities. It’s difficult for them to ride in my old car when I have to hold the female end for them. Call it a pride thing.

So my idea is to make the car easier for them so they won't have to ask for “help” whether it’s funny looking or not. Though I would likt ro find a matching color (gray).

I think I’m going to be OK in the front. It’s the back seats I still have issue with. I may try an F-150 type of 3-point, since they have a high bolt anchor. But then again, how strong of an anchor bolt do I need to make/weld in the old car...

Life would be much easier if I didn't keep my cars forever, go into debt, and buy a new car every other year! But then again...I like my old Grand Marquis better then the new one!

sigpic

George Burns

Comment

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo...linstruct.html

These angles will work with a 3 pt harness as well, the really important one is the shoulder strap. If you do a little more digging in off road forums, or tech articles there should be a lot more on the welds/mounts. I also know they release a book every year that has all the specs for roll bars and harnesses that you can buy for like 20 bucks. (I read a lot of off road magazine in school). Anyway it will show you according to national standards etc what is deemed safe. and youll be able to run in off road competitions too!

Hope that helps a bit.

Up here In NH we don't need no stinkin seat belts.
                    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by BigT View Post
                      (Now don't get too excited on how I have to discribe the seatbealts below!)

The newer style, with the red release, is more erect. That makes it easier for a one handed click. My old ones are floppy and are difficult to do a one handed click. I have some friends with service related disabilities. It’s difficult for them to ride in my old car when I have to hold the female end for them. Call it a pride thing.
                      :lol: I know what you mean.

Comment

Working...
                      X