loose steering collumn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loose steering collumn

I have some play in the steering collumn, both in turning and pusshing up and down (and side to side? I'd have to check). It will rattle slightly over bumps, with maybe a half inch of play up and down. If you turn the wheel with the keys out (so the steering locked), the multifunction switches and collumn shroud will actually rotate a few degree along with the steering wheel right at the point where the lock stops the rotation.

Is this normal or do I have something worn out? Is there a bushing that may be damaged? Loose bolts? Paranoia?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

There are i believe 4 Big bolts that hold the steering wheel assembly in place underneath the dashboard. Start by holding the whole steering wheel assembly up and tighten the two bolts near the brake pedal. The hold up the assembly again while tightening the two more front bolts near the end of where the steering wheel cover shroud is.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
      There are i believe 4 Big bolts that hold the steering wheel assembly in place underneath the dashboard. Start by holding the whole steering wheel assembly up and tighten the two bolts near the brake pedal. The hold up the assembly again while tightening the two more front bolts near the end of where the steering wheel cover shroud is.
      Yeah they're 4 nuts, 15mm. Just like MattsGrandMarquis said. The clips that hold the studs for the nuts can get retarded if the columns been taken down before or if I had to guess there was a lot of vibration. the little retainer clips get moved and make everything loose. If it feels like the nuts are spinning and aren't getting any tighter, you'll have to fix the clips. You can get them back to where they belong by twisting them (if they're not stuck). Or by getting them down with pliers.

Comment

1) Does your car have tilt wheel? If so, there is four bolts behind the steering wheel inside the column that may be loose.. mine were... you have to have a very "Flat" wrench to get in between the column and the other side of the tilt mechanism... Take the column cover off, and look right behind the steering wheel.. you will see them.. Shake the steering wheel to see if they are loose.
        2) There are two bearings the the steering column goes thru, they may be worn out,,,
        3) Check all the steering column bolts under the dash
        4) Regardless... take the covers off the column, and move it around to see what it is loose...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
        Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Thanks guys. No, it's not a tilt.

I'll pull the covers and see if I can see the bolts and get them tighter.

It does sort of feel like bearings being worn out.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
          X