How Do You Remove The Light Switch 90-91

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do You Remove The Light Switch 90-91

I need to remove the light switch assemble ( the rotary knob with the pull out center) to get this trim piece off, Anyone know how to do this I don't want to break anything. Thanks in advance, my dash is all apart so its a bit rushed.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

you gotta reach one hand up inside the dash (remove that panel by your knees to get access, 5 bolts) and push a button on the part of the switch behind that dashboard panel that will release it, pull it out

does it sound awkward? it is. very it's about as fun as replacing the bulb in your HVAC box (another bezel comes off for that, then reach behind it and to the right of the part for high/low/max is the twist-in socket, same as in the dash)
    Last edited by 1990LTD; 02-27-2010, 12:46 PM.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Alright, Ive got everything off as far as gaining access, I just needed to make sure there is a release button before I go a yankin' . Thanks.
      "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

this rotten bastard right here

left side of the pic is the front of the car, right side is the rear. the button closest to the switch

I could be wrong, btw...this is me going by feel. You can't really see shit in there.

Last edited by 87gtVIC; 02-27-2010, 02:06 PM. Reason: no need for three posts within 1 minute on same thread
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Yup, I got her out, old speedo is out too, Im preping the PI speedo, got all the LEDs in and such. Thanks, I had no problems pushing it though, or seeing for that matter, Maybe its just from doing this shit a lot though. My moms 85 olds is one of those repair by feel cars. Ill get some pics up later tonight.
          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

there's an easier way to do this. The knob itself is held on with a little metal tab on the back where it attaches to the shaft. Use a pick to pull the little tab back and remove the knob. Then you can slide the panel off over the switch shaft.
            Originally posted by gadget73
            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

I found the release button very easy to get at, did not have to contort or anything. Maybe its just me, but I am very giant so others shouldn't have much of a problem. I also had to reach up there like 3 times, because I put the switch together to test it. The HVAC light was just a guessing game though, since I did it without removing any vacuum lines.
              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Working...
              X