Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-covering the interior coach roof trim

Hi Guys,

Even tho my car spent most of it's life in a garage, the cloth covering on the wide interior trim around the rear window is hanging down and will tear at the slightest touch. The fabric appears to be similar to the headlining material. Any interior gurus know the procedure to recover it?

Thanks as ever for your help!
    Attached Files
    sigpic'86 GM LS sedan bone stock 113k triple dark sable, most of the bells and whistles, second owner. SOLD 9/10, will be looking for an 89 TC when the time is right

"In order to know virtue, we must first acquaint ourselves with vice" Marquis de Sade

If I recall correctly, that trim panel is covered in headliner material....and of course, the foam backing in headliner material has ether in it. Once the ether begins to evaporate, the foam disintegrates, and the material begins to sag.

Before I say anything about how to recover this particular piece, I would recommend buying two square yards of material ($10 to $20 a yard, depending on which fabric store you buy it from), and do both this trim piece, AND the headliner at the same time, because the process for removing the old crud is exactly the same for both that trim ring, and the actual headliner....which is the following (abbreviated):

1. Remove trim piece, and all trim surrounding the headliner. If I remember properly, you'll have to pull the upper seatbelt mounts in the center pillar (T45 or T50 Torx socket).

2. Strip the material from the headliner backing board, and offending rear window trim piece.

3. Use a wire cup brush on a small hand-held grinder, or use a wire brush to strip the foam crud from the backing board/trim piece.

4. Buy a can of 3M Super trim adhesive (part #08090, and yes, it isn't cheap, at around $15-$20 a can....but you'll have a lot left over). This is the glue you'll need to attach the new cloth to the backing board and trim panel. Of course, you'll also need to secure new cloth. Check out fabric stores for this stuff, most stores I have seen still keep maroon headliner material (foam backed cloth). This might not be a bad time to look for other types of material, should you desire it, however, keep in mind that heavier types of cloth will eventually cause the backing board to sag.

5. I think two yards should be enough....however, measure twice, and cut first. You'll need to buy enough material to cut out a window frame in addition to covering the roof.

6. Making sure the backing board and trim panel are free of loose crud (you don't have to completely strip all evidence of the prior foam, just make sure all of the loose crud is scrubbed off), lay out the material over the board, and leaving a couple of inches around the edge, remember to leave some overlap, as you'll wrap the material around the edge of the board, and glue it on the other side.

7. Do one entire side first. Spray both the board and the cloth (the foam side, obviously, a slightly heavy coat works here), and let it tack for about 30 seconds....and working from the center out, using your fingers, begin to seal the cloth to the board, working out the bubbles, remembering to fill in the corners.

8. Now do the other side.

9. Scissors should have already been present here, as you have to trim the material to fit the board and trim panel, so at this time, if the material is now glued....use the scissors to cut the holes in the visor mounts (cut a X into these holes), and the dome light.

10. At this point, you'll need an ice pick to punch through the small screw holes (three on each side) for the visors, and the holes for the clothing hangers over the rear doors. Punch these holes first, and then, when reinstalling the headliner, you'll use the icepick to locate the screw holes for those visors and hangers.

11. Reinstall headliner, and then, using the same process above, recover the trim piece.

This is the short version of how to do this....just remember, you really can't screw this up. Worst case, you can buy another backing board, and as long as you don't break the trip panel....you can always recover it.

Another idea: If you want to do something a little different to that trim panel? Strip it of crud, sand it down a bit, and paint it to match, using silver, maroon, or even semi-gloss black. Just don't use green, as then I'd be forced to engage in eliminating you as a mercy killing.

In addition, you can experiment with different headliner colors...you can add a little gray, or go black instead....there's also the possibility of adding stripes to the backing board, or your name behind the material, so it gives a 3D look, but that is a little more difficult....and for another time, as I was supposed to be on the road about an hour ago.

Comment

I bow to your greatness, Messiah!

Hope u weren't too late......
      sigpic'86 GM LS sedan bone stock 113k triple dark sable, most of the bells and whistles, second owner. SOLD 9/10, will be looking for an 89 TC when the time is right

"In order to know virtue, we must first acquaint ourselves with vice" Marquis de Sade

Comment

Originally posted by cadfan64 View Post
        I bow to your greatness, Messiah!

Hope u weren't too late......
        Nah. I should have stayed home, however.

Comment

Working...
        X