Tripminder took a dump.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tripminder took a dump.

Im guessing it is just the gears that drive it as the odometer still works fine. It stopped dead at 29.0 miles today and I was wondering why it was stuck there, I re set it and nothing. Looks like Im going to have to take the dash apart yet again.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

The trip odometer you mean... And yes it's the gears. Bad design flaw starting in '90. Went into the aeros too. My mom's 99 doesn't have a working odometer. Either trip or regular odometer. So if anyone asks it still has 96k on it ok?

Comment

ahah I wont let anyone know.
      "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Plastic gears broke. Not much to do about it other than try and find someone who can machine you some gears out of metal. That would be a great resource actually, since lots of Ford owners have this problem.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My mom could machine them for me, after we get through this mess with my brother. That is my priority right now. I was trying to check my fuel economy on the way to the hospital today and that is when it stopped working.
          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I had to replace the planetary gear in the 93 vic odometer (one between the motor gear and the housing teeth). I found a 26 tooth gear at an RC shop and filled the over-sized shaft hole with cut aluminum rod until it was sized down to the right shaft size. Glued all that together and then used some pliers to hold it and a grinder to size it down to the right thickness. Works now... has a bit of a tick to it, but it works.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

your mom can machine small parts? how cool is that shit.

Don't know whats going on with your bro, but I hope everything turns out OK.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

a potato cannon went off in his face, he is "alright" at the moment, but in critical condition. Im just praying for him every second I get right now, and trying to keep my mind busy with various small projects.
                1985 GMC 1500

Comment

There's a site that sells the gears brand new, but I think their like $25. I'd replace the regular odometer gear as well since it will go bad soon to. (ask me how I know)
                  2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                  2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I bought a set from this company: Out of Louisiana,, great service and quick, too...

The set at the top of the page is the ones you need... Also, when installing the gear on the motor shaft... use some dieletric grease on the shaft (Just a SMALL amount, to make it easier to get the gear to slide on the shaft.. it is TIGHT... I just put a small dab on the end of the shaft... (To keep it from sliding and spinning on the shaft... )

The plastic these are made out of are a harder plastic, and are supposeed to last longer... we'll see, no problems so far... Also, if you buy two sets, there is about sa 10.00 discount.. $70.00 instead of $80.00 ...

There used to be a guy in New Orleans that had some brass ones... A friend of mine bought some for the new Crown vics... But his were lost when Hurricane Ivan took out his house... We recovered his rusty tools.. a bed spread, andf one of his EMS unitform shirts.. hanging in a tree... Luckily, he had parked his car some distance away from his house! Anyway, I have NOT been able to contact the guy since Katrina. His shop was never flooded, but his home may have been... And he may have said screw it, i'm out of here... Anyway, his web site has been off line, and I even sent two or three letters to the business address.. no answer... Tom...
                    Last edited by trwp72; 04-11-2010, 02:36 PM.

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
                    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Thanks for the link, but that is a bit pricey. I think I will hold off on and have my mom make some for free. I have another set from my other cluster, but Ill have to take it apart and borrow them. Im not too worried as it is just the trip odometer and not the odometer itself.
                      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Working...
                      X