Rearview Mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rearview Mirror

I am looking to put a new mirror in my car as mine is stained and wont come clean. i was hoping to pull off one from the junkyard that had a built in Compass and auto Dim. If that is possible can you tell me which rearview mirrors i could take off of fords cars with that feature and year range. Also on how i would install that.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

can anybody help me on this. i am going to the junkyard this saturday so i was hoping for an answer before saturday.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ar+view+mirror
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Most mirrors with the controls right on it and a little circle for the light sensor in the glass should work.

As for wiring, it should be as simple as running the wires you just cut to take the mirror off to a key-on positive and ground.

There will probably be a black thing running along the windshield from the mirror up to the roof, which is where the wires are run. Take it, it'll make the install look factory.

I'm not sure if the compass function is usually in-mirror or if the actual compass is mounted somewhere else. You may be able to tell just by whether there are only two wires running to the mirror. If there's just a positive and negative wire coming out of the mirror, it's probably all self contained and will be as simple as running the wires.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

didn't Lincolns form the 80's have this feature.

Comment

I think they do, I know some had auto High beams too. Although maybe that was early 90s? The sensor was on the rear view.
            "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

thats another question how would i run auto lights and what would i need to make them work on my car.

Comment

80s Lincolns had optional autodimming mirrors, but no compass. There are two autodim mirrors. The 80s one is a big thing with a mechanical motor inside to tip the glass. This one has a knob to control the dimming function. The later one is electrochromatic, purely solid state. This is smaller, and has a switch for near, far, and off. Personally I don't think they dim nearly enough or fast enough. All things being equal, I'd rather have a manual day/night mirror.

Do you mean automatic headlamps, or automatic dimming headlamps? Different systems. Only Lincolns had auto dim, but you could get autolamp on many Ford products. The autodim is not that great. It tends to either flip the headlights to dim way too often as you pass signs and such, or not soon enough and you blind other drivers. Autolamp is much more useful.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...light=autolamp
                Last edited by gadget73; 04-15-2010, 09:47 PM.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was just gonna post that thread. Lol. The autodimming feature is a lot more work to put in. The autolamps however, are relatively easy to put in if you know what wires to tap. You can go a step further in that thread and add the autolamp headlamp so you can vary the delay.

Comment

Working...
                  X