lock issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lock issue

I can't lock my drivers door from the inside. The lock rod is connected but it doesn't do anything, the lock slider just floats in the middle. If I lock the door with the key, it will pull the slider to the locked position and I can unlock it from the inside but it just goes back to the middle.

No lock actuator to worry about. What are other failure points?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

bump

the door in question is harder to turn the key in than the passenger door. probably has something to do with it but i have no idea what.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Can you post a pic of "floating" part.
      I've taken apart the door of my MGM to replace the window motors, and have disassembled the lock slider assy a number of times.
      sigpic
      1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
      302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
      COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

the lock rod has prolly detatched from the little chrome lock lever on the arm rest. if you take the chrome trim piece off that is around the door open lever, you will have access to the lock rod. there is a little clip that is supposed to hold it into place. im sorry if i dident explain it well lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Start by lubing up the latch mechanism (motorcycle chain lube. Be generous with it). If you've already removed the lock actuator, that only leaves the linkage to bind.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
            the lock rod has prolly detatched from the little chrome lock lever on the arm rest. if you take the chrome trim piece off that is around the door open lever, you will have access to the lock rod. there is a little clip that is supposed to hold it into place. im sorry if i dident explain it well lol
            That's what I meant the lock rod was still attached to. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Originally posted by BigMikeIT View Post
            Can you post a pic of "floating" part.
            I've taken apart the door of my MGM to replace the window motors, and have disassembled the lock slider assy a number of times.
            the "floating" part is the lock slider. it only goes into the locked (all the way back) position when you lock the door from the outside with the key. When it's like that, you can UNlock it but the slider doesn't stay in the unlocked position; it just floats in the middle.

thanks guys!

& i didn't remove the lock actuators....they were never there to begin with
            sigpic

Comment

Well, see the attached pic. This is from my factory service manual, and since you don't have electric lock actuators gm_guy has the most equivalent answer to the manual, "Before starting electrical diagnosis, check for mechanical binds by manually operating the door locks.."

Of course the diagnosis in this manual only covers electric locks, however in the diagnostic tree a 'possible source' albeit for electrical locks is a "frozen door latch/ latch or linkage binding" and 'action' being to use a lubricant called D7AZ-19584 [or some else that penetrates and has graphite] and to operate the mechanism ten times..and it may be necessary to remove the door trim and lubricate the entire latch and linkage system.

See, my passenger door on my Tudor is frozen shut. The actuator in my case is locked with the door closed :smirk:, and my driver side gets tight in the cold. So, I should really lube my driver side door.

I would say that part of the linkage is binding, pushing that little plastic chrome indicator post to the "unlock" position, however seized and pulling the post thingy back a bit. You also want to see if the lock mechanism itself is rotating showing a false indication of the lock position. The cloth wrapping on the throw bar doesn't offer enough resistance.
              Attached Files
              sigpic
              302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")

Comment

THANK YOU! I think the problem is the cloth covered rod that attaches to the slider - it is not perfectly straight so I think it would explain why locking it from the outside moves the slider but the slider doesn't lock the door.

Can you get a replacement for that rod? Or am I lookng at invading a junkyard car? If the rod is the same in auto/manual lock cars then it would certainly up my hances of finding one.
                sigpic

Comment

Dunno. I think the cloth covering was a lo-tech solution as a type of lubrication guide - not the best description. The lock rod or whatever it's named rides inside the cloth tubing so the metal rod doesn't rub against the door frame edge.

I don't think the linkage can be rusted since that lock shaft looks like it may be anodized. I would attempt to lube all the linkage (that means taking the inside trim off and fitting your hands through). Do this with the window UP.

I don't know if the cloth tube setup was a Canadian production solution, since there are some things with my car (made in Canada) that has differences than US made cars.

If you can, take a pic of the door when disassembled (door trim and panel) so I can confirm.
                  sigpic

Comment

I am gonna pull the door panel in the next couple of days and I will take lots of pics
                    sigpic

Comment

Read correction in bold. I wasn't able to edit.

Originally posted by BigMikeIT View Post
                      I don't think the linkage can't be rusted since that lock shaft looks like it may be anodized. I would attempt to lube all the linkage (that means taking the inside trim off and fitting your hands through). Do this with the window UP.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X