Insulation Adhesive Removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insulation Adhesive Removal?

I took the headliner out of my 81 LTD because it was sagging, and subsequently the insulation that was glued to the roof was also coming down, so I pulled that out as well, and will be ultimately replaced with Dynamat. However there is some residual glue and particles leftover on the roof, and I'd like a clean surface. I have tried WD-40 and a putty scraper and it's still fighting me. Any suggestions on getting it down? I can post pictures of what's left if that helps...
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Lacquer thinner should do it, or naptha. If you have a Zippo, try the lighter fluid. Thats basically naptha, though its more expensive than just buying a container of that. Lacquer thinner flashes off fast too, so I'd avoid that one in the summer if at all possible. You'll use a crapton of it.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Goo Gone should take it right off. I used it for removing glue left behind after removing the vinyl top.

Comment

all that stuff flashes off fast around here... but it's hot here now so meh. I need to rip out (re: vacuum) all the foam off the headliner cardboard in the 88. it gets old brushing a knuckle on that and raining bits of crap on everything.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
          Goo Gone should take it right off. I used it for removing glue left behind after removing the vinyl top.
          Don't trust Goo Gone. The old formula may have worked, but I got the new stuff and it was garbage for pulling for vinyl top snot off! The old formula had Toluene and something else that's a big-cancer chemical (NOT ACETONE). The new shit, even combined with mixing Toluene/Acetone and XYLENE/(new=acetone) it was! didn't do shit because all the acetone made it flash off too fast to do any good.

The old stuff with Xylene and Toluene worked gangbusters on the roof snot, anything combined with acetone will be USELESS!

I had a can of the old stuff. Dump the liquid on it and a putty knife removed ALL the snot. The new shit was beyond useless!
          Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 07-07-2014, 01:07 PM.
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

id leave it honestly, the roof dents too easily.
            Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Working...
            X