No announcement yet.

Door speakers on an 86 crown vic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1! I just have my "quirks" because my ears are more sensitive to sound than most folks but agreed we are not talking about an acoustically pristine environment!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

In newer cars where everything is black and/or grey anyway, who cares. But on a box panther where EVERYTHING else is chrome, wood, or a specific colour, you might as well run factory looking grilles. Black grilles in an otherwise red or blue door panel would bother me.

Soundwise, I doubt it's optimal but I'd think adding two entirely new speakers is going to be a plus for clarity and volume even if they're a bit muffled.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Put a good quality tweeter on each A-pillar. They'll help bring the soundstage up to ear level.
        1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
          In newer cars where everything is black and/or grey anyway, who cares. But on a box panther where EVERYTHING else is chrome, wood, or a specific colour, you might as well run factory looking grilles. Black grilles in an otherwise red or blue door panel would bother me.

Soundwise, I doubt it's optimal but I'd think adding two entirely new speakers is going to be a plus for clarity and volume even if they're a bit muffled.
          This is what metallic silver spray paint is for.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

haha im just catching up on all the posts today and all true. Me adding 2 more speakers in the doors will most likely be a huge sound difference considering in the dashboard right now the speaker are only 4 inchers!!
            sigpic1986 crown victoria ltd 5.0
            Mods- True duals with just cats, msd cap/rotor/coil, ford racing 9mm wires,
            CAI, 180 t-stat, poly sway bar bushings/endlinks, HD shocks, cooper cobra 235/60r15, fresh paint

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2975[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1276964Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2976[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1276965
              took some pics today while i did my other doors window guide bushings and it looks like i don't have factory speaker connectors. But maybe its better that i have to run a fresh wire now
              CAI, 180 t-stat, poly sway bar bushings/endlinks, HD shocks, cooper cobra 235/60r15, fresh paint

Comment

Alpine used to make some REALLY nice dash speakers (maybe they still do). Replaced the OEM ones, in my '87 GM and they sound pretty good. They are in there for several years so don't remember the price but they weren't expensive. Crutchfield is where I got them...did all the others at the same time - doors and rear.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I'm currently looking on amazon at a pair of 6.5'' kickers for the doors only $35. what gauge wire do you recommend me running to the head unit?

Comment

Alpines are really nice i have a set of those in my trans am gta

Comment

my 88 had the connectors in the doors, but they were not wired up. I had to run the speaker wire (with adapters) to the dash connectors when I put the speakers in the doors.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It seems like the 87s and up have an existing wire. my wires in the door look like they are just going to the window motor, locks, and lock actuator unless there is something there i don't see

Comment

16 gauge will do just fine for all 8 feet you'll need.
                          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                          Past Panthers
                          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Ok thanks. now where exactly am i going to need to run this speaker wire to get the correct power. i'm using just a simple jvc head unit

Comment

Originally posted by rob86vic View Post
                              haha im just catching up on all the posts today and all true. Me adding 2 more speakers in the doors will most likely be a huge sound difference considering in the dashboard right now the speaker are only 4 inchers!!
                              Amen to that! My beige '87 has the base AM/FM stereo and no door speakers. Those 4" dash speakers are pathetic! They must have no response below 60Hz and the treble sucks too. Even just the factory Premium Sound system was a HUGE jump in sound quality. That system in my Tudor puts the base 4-speaker system to shame!

Originally posted by rob86vic View Post
                              It seems like the 87s and up have an existing wire. my wires in the door look like they are just going to the window motor, locks, and lock actuator unless there is something there i don't see
                              I'll have to double-check my car (May '87 build) one of these days to see if the wire is there. Is the factory door speaker wiring fed from the head unit or the Premium Sound amp harness?
                              RyPow
                              1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
                              1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
                              1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
                              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
                              2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
                              1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
                              2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
                              2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

haha yeah anything i play with a good amount of bass the 4'' just crackle like mofos. Yeah if i had the premium sound option i would just replace a few speakers and be happy with that lol

yeah its either '87 or '88 they started the harness because my 86 doesn't have it.

Now considering i don't want to run an external amp or anything where exactly does this new speaker wire go to because i don't think my head unit came with any spots for additional speakers

Comment

Working...
                                X