got to drive a 79 town car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strut rods? Really?

10-14mpg sounds reasonable. I looked at the fueling records my dad kept for my mom's '74 Cougar (it had a 400-2V, or so I've always been told), and all the entries I remember seeing reported economy right in that range.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
      Strut rods? Really?
      Really really. I thought someone had a swaybar kit for these cars, but I haven't looked in a long, long time. It helps a bit....but it's still not something I'd want to corner all that hard.

It's one hell of a freeway flier, just as long as you remember to brake really hard for any corners coming up....I almost wish I could have snagged the white '77 coupe I put together for my stepfather, the gas mileage wasn't too bad, and it did really good burnouts, lol....

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      and how much more fuel was it burning though? I'd actually like to soup up a 400 a bit in one of those cars. I know they can perform, but I suspect that a warmed over 400 would not only have more power, but be better on fuel too.
      I'm curious if the huge piston and resulting large flamefront across the piston of the 460 are more of a detriment to efficient running; my two 400's that I built were comparable to a modded 460, and got better gas mileage as well; however, this requires that the 400 be removed from the vehicle and be completely gone through; I could get similar results with a late 1970's 460 by merely doing a H/C/I, using D0VE heads....in addition, a good 408W will keep up, from a power standpoint, to almost any strongly-built 460, it usually takes serious cubic dollars and stroking the 460 to pull away from a 408 so far as power production is concerned.

I still think about building a 460 occasionally, but the only reason for doing so is that I can get acceptable results by going with a mild rebuild of a 460, instead of having to buy a stroker kit, an $1900 set of heads (AFR205 at least), etc, etc....but you don't have the roller cam selection, either, as 460's never got a roller cam from the factory....and it ain't cheap to get a hydraulic roller setup for a 460, either.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-21-2010, 11:07 AM.

Comment

What's a decent 4bbl for the 400?
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I think the main difficulty might be finding a 4V manifold ....

Comment

yeah, true enough. a better 2bbl would probably be easier to find
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

its not the carb thats a serious problem, the intake isn't too great, but the cam is awful and the heads have combustion chambers the size of half a grapefruit. Just sticking a carb on top is not gonna fix anything.
              Last edited by gadget73; 10-21-2010, 05:42 PM.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ah I see. I know nothing of these engines.
                sigpic

Comment

port it and drag it with a 1050 cfm :p

*I know nothing about what I'm talking about

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

There's tons of intakes for 400's... Edelbrock performer 400 is what I went with. Heads are better than any 302 or 351 got from the factory. Cleveland 2v or 4v heads bolt on too. You can easily get over 400hp with stock heads. You can use any Cleveland intake with spacer plates too. It's also a dry intake so you don't have to worry about coolant and changing the oil when you change the intake. Any Cleveland camshaft works also.

Yes the stock intake is a turd. It's one HEAVY mother. You get a big performance boost with an intake and carb.

Comment

The heads flow, no doubt about that, just the compression ratio is real low. Shave them down so the chambers are a more reasonable size and you've really got something to work with. The 400 is basically a stroker Cleveland engine, and with a little work it will perform as such.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

sigpic

Comment

you weren't kidding about those chambers.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                            yeah, true enough. a better 2bbl would probably be easier to find
                            That'd surprise me more, actually, but of course now we have reports of 4V manifold availability. I'd forgotten about the concept of spacer plates, too.

Comment

Working...
                            X