No announcement yet.

what makes a classic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In PA it 10 years for Classic & 25 years for Anitque some whales can fit in now thats over 10 years old 2 or out of 3 of my Panthers are classics now & my HPP will be 10 years 10 in 2010 & I might put classic tags on it when I find cheap new cars to drive & save the good stuff that no longer being made anymore.........
    2000 Crown Vic LX HPP Red w/3:55 Rears
    85 Crown Vic Stock w/HPP`s
    07 JCL 250 A Scooter
    79 to 91 Mercedes S Class W126 US or Euro Versions coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
      in pa
      15 yrs old for a classic
      25 yrs old for an antique
      Scott I think 1 of us is right or wrong on the Classic side 10 or 15 years but on the Antique side its 25 years thats true.........
      2000 Crown Vic LX HPP Red w/3:55 Rears
      85 Crown Vic Stock w/HPP`s
      07 JCL 250 A Scooter
      79 to 91 Mercedes S Class W126 US or Euro Versions coming soon

Comment

In FL its 20 years to become a 'collectibe' and 30 yrs for 'antique'.
        But i think they eliminated the 'collectible' status all together, you cant get the collectibe tag anymore,and my GM is around the corner from its 20th..damn it

4thPanther..03 MGM LS
        previous panthers: 87 MGM, 85 CV 2 DOOR, 89 MGM.

Comment

I once read that in accepted old ass car aficionado circles, that 25 years is classic, 35 is vintage and 50 is antique. Seems my former classic Cadillac is now vintage and I have an almost classic Mercury.

Now as to collectible, something is only collectible if someone wants it. Same as something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Collectible car guides and KBB are crocks that sell you generalities and supposition.

Imagine my surprise when I found out that AMC Pacers are collectible classic cars now.

If I had a Pacer, I'd shoot my cat.
          Last edited by Deadarf; 12-06-2008, 01:59 PM.

Comment

the reason i say collectible is because the tags that were available here in florida say collectible on them.

4thPanther..03 MGM LS
            previous panthers: 87 MGM, 85 CV 2 DOOR, 89 MGM.

Comment

Originally posted by crown vic muscle View Post
              in minnesota anything over 20 years old is eligable for classic/collector plates
              same here in maryland

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
              302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
              k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by 89merk View Post
                the reason i say collectible is because the tags that were available here in florida say collectible on them.
                Then all of the people would see the tag and steal the car and try to sell it.

Comment

in DE theres just a small print on your inspection sticker that says "exempt" you still use the same plates. they give you an optional "Antique car" plate you can put on the front but its optional. i dont think having that tag would make your car anymore of a theft target. its just a $10 optional fee for cars over 25 years old. cars with giant rust holes that barly run are still just as elegiable.
                  1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

this is taken straight from the MN DMV site

Pioneer Plates
                    Any vehicle manufactured before 1936 and retained as a collector's item can display these plates.

Classic Plates
                    These plates can be displayed on any vehicle manufactured from 1925 to 1948 that's deemed a classic car by the registrar of motor vehicles. The criteria for this designation includes superior workmanship, design, elite engineering standards, and proof the vehicle is only used as a collector's item.

Collector Plates
                    Any vehicle that's at least 20 model years old and manufactured after 1935 can display these plates, providing you, the owner, also have at least one other vehicle registered in Minnesota.

Street Rod Plates
                    You qualify for these plates if your vehicle was manufactured before 1949 or was recreated to resemble a vehicle manufactured before 1949. You must also have at least one other vehicle registered in Minnesota.
                    Attached Files
                    What happened here?

Comment

Nifty options, but what use/mileage restrictions apply?
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                        Then all of the people would see the tag and steal the car and try to sell it.
                        That is a thought - one reason why it could sometimes be preferable to have a regular tag on the car.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                          Nifty options, but what use/mileage restrictions apply?
                          im not sure on that, i got really confused reading the fine print, here is the link http://www.dps.state.mn.us/DVS/PlBro...PlateFrame.htm maybe someone else can make sense of it
                          What happened here?

Comment

For what it matters, here's what I found on the pamphlet downloaded from www.michigan.gov :

A Historical vehicle must be:
                            • 26 or more years old -- based on model year
                            • Owned solely as a collector’s item
                            • Used only for events such as historical club activities, parades, and car shows.
                            Note: A designated historical vehicle cannot be used for routine transportation.

That last line would seem to indicate that if you're caught driving your "Historical Vehicle" to work or the grocery store, you're in deep doo-doo with the State Police.

Comment

In North Carolina it's:

25yrs = Classic

30yrs = Antique

No "Classic" or "Collector" plates here, but you can get Antique plates for any Registered vehicle over 30yrs old, which is not your daily driver, and even regardless of what condition it may be in.

Comment

In wisconsin,20 year old car will make you available to get collector plates.
                                My car is 30 years old next month.
                                sigpic

Ltds Forever
                                My Wife Or My Car......Ill Keep The Car

Comment

Working...
                                X