Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After careful consideration... I've decided..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this thread goes all over the place, but do you have any ideas of what it could be? My engine isn't going to die right?

I know which one would be less, but that little picture is the actual lincoln I was planning on getting lol I can that if I don't get the lincoln then all my money is going into Charleston Which is probably what I'll end up doing. Charleston may have a noisy engine, but he'll speed up like a bat out of hell. That's the most responsive car I've driven yet. Plus I realized the rust I have is nothing compared to what that lincoln could have.
    "Charleston" the 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS sedan

Comment

id take that aero panther! i bet it has a 5L in it too lol. if you realy wanted a barge lincoln, i bet you could get a very nice one for 3 grand. thats what turn key classic cars run for here.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I wouldn't pay that for a barge, I would if I were restoring it :p I'd rather invest in my car with $3,000

Comment

you will be spending more than 3 grand(excluding purchase price) to restore it(to just drivable condition, not nice condition), ask me how i know lol. i been there a couple times. thats why i dont do "project" cars anymore. its easier getting a turn key car and tweeking it, than starting from scratch. we just hate too see projects get abbandoned, cause of regrets. thats all...

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I wouldn't abandon that Continental. I've wanted that since I was 11, It would probably take 10 years to get the car next to perfect, and that's okay to me. That's one project that would never disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by tyler_hubbard2003 View Post
              My marquis knocks, I thought it was the spark plugs, but I don't know what it is. It sounds kinda bad.
              Without you posting a video on Youtube or putting the phone by the engine while someone is listening, there is little chance of diagnosing your noise over the internet. Bring the car to a friendly neighborhood shop and see if a service adviser will listen to the engine noise for you. Does it only happen when you are driving? How about if you pop the hood, grab the throttle and let it rev up a bit? Hold it at ~3000RPMs for a couple of seconds and see if there is a steady noise. Rap the throttle a couple of times and see what it sounds like and where it is coming from.
              $1500 will get you a HO conversion with an Explorer motor, better gears and headers for your GM. A few more bucks and you can have full dual exhaust.

Comment

I wouldn't abandon that Continental. I've wanted that since I was 11, It would probably take 10 years to get the car next to perfect, and that's okay to me. That's one project that would never disappear.
                I have all but given up on 70s titanic Fords and Mercs for project cars. I can buy a nice Aero or Whale for less cash than it costs for a worthy barge project. The only one I am still holding out for is a 1970-72 429PI car. A 1973-74 460PI car may not even do it for me. I have never seen one so I don't know.
                Last edited by Mercracer; 02-21-2011, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Well I think I need stop being to stubborn and make an adult decision, I'm going to have to make a lot of those pretty soon. So I'm going to put all my money into my Marquis. I may buy and aero town car if the price it right as a back up. So that's my final decision.

Comment

I think at this point in time that is the smartest decision. I've had both a "barge" and Panthers and I can tell you the Panther is the better DD. I love the looks of the 70s Lincolns, but they are super heavy and really need the 460 to have any power, and lets not even talk about gas mileage.
                    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                    Past Panthers
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Yeah, the looks of the whole is what gets me, but after factoring in the if I'm lucky 10-12mpgs, then , maintenance and repairs. Just not really logical what so ever.

Comment

well, we"ll be here for ya..whatever you do.
                        1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                        1994 MGM GS Montigua
                        2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                        2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Thanks! Honestly with all that's going on in my life, this forum has become my 2nd family so to speak. But I'm definitely going to keep and fix up my marquis. I love it. I'm doing the oil pan wednesday so yeah excitement I don't what I'd do without this place!

Comment

I don't what I'd do without this place!
                            sounds like youve joined the club
                            1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                            1994 MGM GS Montigua
                            2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                            2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
                              That is not just a project, that is a money black hole. It needs a transmission and who knows what else just to get it to drive under its own power reliably. $1500 may not sound like much but after you put another $1000+ just to be able to drive it to the car wash, reality will set in.
                              Brand spanking new those cars could not get out of their own way. They weigh 1000lbs more than a Panther Town Car and have less horsepower.
                              Which of these 2 Green Lincolns do you think will cost you less money to restore, make performance improvements and drive? If you click the little picture it will get bigger.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]27649[/ATTACH]
                              I know for a fact a 1978 LTD weighs only 4500 pounds give or take a couple hundred as there was Ice on the scale. They are slow cause the have 2.73 gears in the rear end. Also, it takes less gas for my to drive to raleigh and back in my LTD than it does my 85 toyota cressida. (I do drive the cressida harder though) About the only thing I can beet in a race at this moment, is a 4cylinder ranger. Even with 150hp and close to 300 ftlbs of tq those shitty gears in the rear really slow you down. Swap the gears to some 3.55s or 3.73s and you wont be able to keep traction when taking off. However, when you do that, in order to keep some kind of decent mileage, it would be best to switch to an overdrive trans or a 4speed manual with an aftermarket overdrive kit. This is with the 351M/400 as well.

Now for the agreeing with you part about parts and money.

Ive rebuilt the carb twice, new gas tank, new fuel sending unit, new brakes all around, new master cylinder, new hoses, belts, and tires. And this is just the beginning.

However, theres one thing else even if you leave it stock...youll have something that (if its like my town) no one else will have. Even with my car in such shitty condition, I still get more people commenting on it than any of my other cars. The other day at the gas station I had a guy come up to me and tell me never to sell it cause he hadnt see one in years.

This is all provided you have a job, a place to keep the monster, and the willingness to accept the fact that it will turn into a project and suck you dry. Im building mine its own special shop. if you can afford the gas and live close to work like me (3 miles) than yeah, daily drive it.

I know where theres a PERFECT 77 Lincoln sitting under cover in a garage...I can get pics if you want. Its literally perfect. Theres also a 77 Grandmarq that ive been trying to get sitting under a carport at an old house on the same property. (friends house)

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                              you will be spending more than 3 grand(excluding purchase price) to restore it(to just drivable condition, not nice condition), ask me how i know lol. i been there a couple times. thats why i dont do "project" cars anymore. its easier getting a turn key car and tweeking it, than starting from scratch. we just hate too see projects get abbandoned, cause of regrets. thats all...
                              ^^ He speaks the ugly truth. I would say Im in at least $2500 now. And theres still a ways to go to being fixed. Mostly more brake work and the parking paw on the trans needs fixing too.
                              Last edited by Jon; 02-23-2011, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                                I know for a fact a 1978 LTD weighs only 4500 pounds give or take a couple hundred as there was Ice on the scale. .
                                You have a LTD II (Torino)? 351M?
                                As tested on a certified scale by the Michigan State Police in 1978, the LTD II with a 400 weighs over 4600 lbs. With a 351W they weighed about 4500lbs. A full sized LTD with a 460 weighs about 4900 lbs. That is 1000lbs more than a Panther with a 302 and 900lbs more than a Panther with a 351W.

Comment

Working...
                                X