Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After careful consideration... I've decided..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as long as you know "where the corners are"... it really isn't that big of a deal.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

hahahah 5 miles in front of me and 10 behind right? haha :p
      "Charleston" the 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS sedan

Comment

That "thing" is a pile of scrap!! And it certainly is no classic, it's junk. Thats the kind of car you sell to the pick-a-part by the pound. You've already gotten some excellent advice here and you're still toying with the idea of buying this POS. You might be at that point in life when you need a good lesson, that way you'll never forget it.

So go ahead and buy it, get it out of your system. And then in a month or two when you wake up and realize you're in over your head and it's going to take winning the lotto to restore a car that will never be worth a fraction of what you'll spend. Then you can drag it over to the pick-a-part and get your pound price for it. I hope they give you more than what you'll pay to buy it and drag it home. Around here that car is bringing $12.50 a hundred right now.

I'm not trying to be nasty or a smart ass, just trying to save you the grief you are obviously determined to learn the hard way.

God Luck!!

Comment

A barge handles like a barge, well named IMO. My 79 with the 400 I had for a bit got a solid 10 mpg. Awesome presence though.

Pete
          Originally posted by gadget73
          For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
          1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
          1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

they drive and handle like poo if you ask me mang, yes they are pretty cars mang, i'm not saying that, but trust me i had one as my first car, well it was an ltd and not a town car, but same chassis.
            my ltd got an avg of 6 mpg, it had the 400/fmx.......i could not afford to take road trips in it, and gas then was under a buck a gallon.....yea i was 16/17 when i had that car, but i still remember many scary moments driving that car, the panther design that ford reverse engineered from general motors gave new life to fomoco (alot of older people will tell you that fords had shitty suspension in the 60's and 70's and yes it's true

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Oh okay, I figured with all that mass and exterior dimensions that it wouldn't be a problem when driving. Which does matter because, I want to drive it :p but not if I'm going to be a nervous wreck doing so. When I first got my permit and drove my dads truck, I nearly had a panic attack with all the cars being so close to me. haha

Comment

Originally posted by tyler_hubbard2003 View Post
                How does the car stop? In general or in panic stops?
                Its been awhile, but I don't remember it being scary or anything. It will nosedive during a panic stop due to the soft suspension.
                2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                Past Panthers
                1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

find one that runs and drives and is in decent shape and drive it, and see if you like it, they are nice on the highway, but it's no panther, and that is what you are used to

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Honestly.. You guys wanna know something.. Because my fuel gauge stopped working because that crushed wire.. It upset me. I only have one gauge and I feel like it shouldn't stop working. That's why I bounced back to continental. I have a problem, my youthful mentality comes out with a fury when things go south. I don't even know what call the wire, I mean I'm not even 100% sure that's what's causing it. But it was the only thing nearly severed by the engine. I love my marquis that's why I bought it and not continental in the first place. I could have gotten the lincoln, but didn't. I just don't know what the wire is and I could be out of gas for all I know, All though I doubt that considering I had over a quarter of a tank and all I did was raise the engine. I've done so much to Charleston already. I accomplished the oil pan. I just don't know what to do with fixing it.

There now you know. I am opening up and telling my over-dramatic woes.

Comment

Fix up your GM first...After you get the kinks worked out of our Panther, you'll really enjoy it! If you have the wealth of Scrooge McDuck, look for a barge TC that doesn't need a full restoration. Buying one that's rotted out will only lead to tears.
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

You made a thread to see what peoples opinions were and I dont think one person here said it was a good idea because simply, its not. You wanted the car 6 years ago, it has sentimental value and I understand that. However, that car is quite frankly put completly worthless. If you could get it for maybe $100, you could take a look at the work it needs, get some quotes and realize its too far gone and sell it for scrap but unless you can aquire it cheaper then what you can get out of scrap for it then stay far far away.

This thing should be made into soup cans, not into a classic. You say you care about color but you can paint a car any color you want, color isnt important especially when you will probably be dropping anywheres roughly from 10 grand (bare minimum) to upwards of like 20 grand to completly restore just the exterior of this car... Buy a nice used one or at least one with an okay body and start from there, this car is crap and if you buy it, you'll only have thrown away money that could have gone into your grand marquis.
                        79 Grand Marquis

Comment

Also, you say your Marquis's motor is knocking. Fix that. Theres no way in hell that Lincoln is worth $1500 and if you dont want to pay $3000 for a half decent one then i hope you realize its going to cost you 5x that at to make that into something nice as it looks like its probably really rotted out and will need a lot of body work and in the end still youll have a big heavy car with no power that will be no fun. Should just put $1500 into making a nice exploder motor swap into your marquis.
                          79 Grand Marquis

Comment

I've actually realized after this past week and all the stuff that has gone wrong. I realized my marquis is the only thing I have left. So I'm gonna fix Charleston and move on with my life. Btw the color of your marquis is one of my favorites.

Comment

Almost the same color as the car you wanted, green interior too.
                              79 Grand Marquis

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
                                That "thing" is a pile of scrap!! And it certainly is no classic, it's junk. Thats the kind of car you sell to the pick-a-part by the pound. You've already gotten some excellent advice here and you're still toying with the idea of buying this POS. You might be at that point in life when you need a good lesson, that way you'll never forget it.

So go ahead and buy it, get it out of your system. And then in a month or two when you wake up and realize you're in over your head and it's going to take winning the lotto to restore a car that will never be worth a fraction of what you'll spend. Then you can drag it over to the pick-a-part and get your pound price for it. I hope they give you more than what you'll pay to buy it and drag it home. Around here that car is bringing $12.50 a hundred right now.

I'm not trying to be nasty or a smart ass, just trying to save you the grief you are obviously determined to learn the hard way.

God Luck!!
                                It very good advice to follow.
                                “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                                X