No announcement yet.

521 Stroker Motor for the Fairlane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Scott. To me "awhile" is a week off from work. I go back Oct 2nd. I'll be working just about everyday getting the Fairlane to run by next weekend. I've only had 4 days off to work on it since Aug 7th, so I have to get that done. I'll make it out to the shop one day for sure. I'd like to try out your keg setup, and chit chat for awhile.
    1966 Ford Fairlane 500XL - 521 Stroker/4-speed
    1997 Ford F250XLT Heavy Duty - 460/E4OD
    2008 Ford Crown Victoria LX

Comment

Looks nice, I'm going to be doing a T5 install in the Vic this winter. I'd like to use a hydraulic clutch as well, so if you don't mine me asking how much that cost? And is it a complete kit ofr just the clutch fork actuator?

Comment

It's an assortment of parts Blaze, so I'll break down for you what I bought.

The slave cylinder on the bellhousing was $50, and the rod end was $20.

I'm using a Wilwood clutch pedal which was $57, and the master cylinder for that was $67.

I also bought a 3 foot braided high pressure line which was $17. I hope it all works, because on paper it should.

Comment

Okay, little update tonight. Here's what's been going on since my last post.

I spent 2 1/2 hours bead blasting my headers, and my brother's shorty headers. I picked up some Eastwood High Temp Header Coating, so I hope this stuff holds up. At least it will look good for the photo shoot.

I finished up welding some bar stock to mount the clutch slave cylinder, and welded up the clutch fork to smooth it out, and repainted it. I'll post a pic tomorrow of the newly painted red Lakewood Scattershield, with my hydraulic clutch setup. I hope this works nice, because I had this idea in my head for months now.

I mounted the slave cylinder to the bar stock, and drilled and tapped a hole for a 3/8 course thread bolt.

Since the bar stock was straight and the bellhousing is curved, I used this little jewel to find out how much I had to grind the bar stock to meet the curvature for welding.

She's all welded up and grinded to look good when painted.

I also cut out my driver's side shock tower tonight, just before it got dark. Tomorrow I'm going to weld the two pieces I cut out with the plasma cutter, and finish the engine compartment by sanding and painting. I should have the engine in there by Thursday, with a start up by Saturday.....Friday off for pizza, beer, and cruise night. Dad's driving, so I can enjoy.........

Comment

Nice work! I think I am going to try and do a hydraulic clutch pedal if I get enough money from selling my stuff. looks awesome!

Comment

Thanks Blaze. Here's some more updates from last night and today. I figured out my radiator mounts and "hood latchless" crossmember. I also mounted the Wilwood clutch pedal and master cylinder. I used an existing hole from the factory clutch rod, so I didn't have to drill a big hole for this setup. I don't know how the heck I would have done that anyway, because there's no room to drill at all. I had just enough room to drill the two bolt holes for the Wilwood pedal.

Here was my dilema, I needed to move the radiator forward a few inches to make some room, and re-connect the crossmember piece that use to be there. I solved both problems by fabricating my own mount, that serves the dual purpose of supporting the radiator at the top too. I made new lower mounts and welded them to the front subframe, but I didn't take a pic of that. If I ever need to pull the motor again, I can simply unbolt everything, and I won't have to lift the motor over this cross piece again.

I used 3/16" steel, and this part of the radiator is not pulled in by the fans. The front of the hood also covers this brace, so it can't be seen from the front.

All of this received a fresh coat of Eastwood underhood paint, so it will look purdy when I bolt it back on for the final time.

Next I worked on the clutch setup. I used the existing hole from the factory, and just had to make a small notch over the top bolt, from inside the engine compartment. I would have like it over a little to the left, but I don't think I could have drilled a big enough hole for the master cylinder bore to pass through. It feels pretty good inside while sitting down, so I should be okay. I need to cut off about an inch more off the brake pedal, but all my sawzall blades were bad. Here's a few pics of that.....

I still have to prep the engine compartment for paint, pull the seats and carpet to make the hole for the shifter, and then install the engine. I hope I can get this done by Sunday. It's back to work on Monday, and I don't know when I'll get another day off.

Comment

I want that clutch setup!

Now, on a panther, getting a clutch master cylinder to work!
                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I swear I posted already, but I still don't see my post, weird stuff going on. Pat, why cut the strut towers like that?

Comment

How about an electronic solenoid would that work? I always wanted to try that.
                    and by the way...You are a genius!!! It looks great!
                    YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

A hydraulic system much like I am planning or a hyd throuhout bearing style. Good job so far. I believe the giant break booster going to be in the way on our boxes. Thought about a remote resivour set up.
                      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I want to push a button to engage the clutch and perhaps even to shift too ...but I have not got to play with a transmission like that yet so I don't know were to even begin?
                        YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks
                          I swear I posted already, but I still don't see my post, weird stuff going on. Pat, why cut the strut towers like that?
                          It makes it a little easier to get to the header bolts, and spark plug changes. Although the plugs were easy to get to before I cut them, the header bolts were a PITA. I had to use long extensions with swivel sockets from the bottom, and some at the top could only be tightened a small turn at a time.

I finished dialing in the Lakewood bellhousing, and bolted up the trans. I wanted to mount the shifter on tonight, but they sent 3/8 bolts to mount the plate to the tailhousing, instead of 5/16 bolts. I picked up the right bolts before Lowe's closed at 10pm. I even test fit the back two header tubes and everything clears nicely. I won't be able to do much more now, until next week. I have to go to Houston, TX for a week, so I hope to finish it the weekend I come back. Here's a couple pics.

Comment

I can't wait till you let me shift the gears in that sucka :Evil:
                            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Simply amazing, great work Pat! But I don't wanna hear and complaining about lack of space on that thing..... So what is the new projected finish date?

Comment

Dont know what rocker arms you have but I am going with Probe 1.8s. Tired of loosing lift with the Chevy rocker arms most sell you for boss 302, 351, 400, 429 and 460s.
                                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
                                X