idea for guys taking wood panel off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enigma
    Works pretty good for what it's intended, to pass state inspections. I don't trust side mirrors, never will. I always look over the shoulder before changing lanes. Other than that, what's behind me, I see from the inside mirror.
    +1

For the most part I really wouldn't give a hoot whether cars had side mirrors or not. You've still got a blind spot, so you still have to check.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I had thought of painting the area where the wood used to be a contrasting color, like a two tone, but my molding was pealing and all dented to hell, so it all went bye bye.
      +1, I had that idea too. I was thinking of painting the area on mine a darker shade of blue.
      Nick
      88 Colony Park LS
      G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
      Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

If I took the fake off, it'd be replaced with real wood.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

leave the wood it's cool

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Dear Panthers,
            Like Mr. Enigma, I removed the vinyl - mostly because I intended to keep my CP for some years and it is easier to repaint than revinylize. I also removed the Colony Park moniker on the rear.

I like the look of Mr. Enigma's car. When you balck out the crome trim do you simply paint over it?

Donald McCaig

Comment

Originally posted by yucatec
              I like the look of Mr. Enigma's car. When you balck out the crome trim do you simply paint over it?
              If you're like me, yes, and then you wonder why the black paint is peeling off. Far better to give each trim piece a light glassbeading and some primer and do it right.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by yucatec
                When you black out the chrome trim do you simply paint over it?
                I sanded the chrome first (100 grit), then used self etching primer, then hot rod black paint. It's held up better than I expected, but it is still coming off in small spots. Mainly on the windshield trim, lesser on the grill. The sides and back are doing fine. Not too bad after two winters. Best bet is to media blast it first for best results. Maybe I'll do that next time around. I should have a media blaster by then.
                1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
                1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
                1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

Media blast and powder coat.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
                    Media blast and powder coat.
                    D'oh! I knew that!

I've never done powdercoating... anyone ever used one of those home powdercoating kits?

Comment

Nope, but I've been thinking about it. I've got a bunch of parts I need powerdercoated black...

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp
                        I've never done powdercoating... anyone ever used one of those home powdercoating kits?
                        Do you have an oven large enough that can hold trim pieces and never want to use for baking ever again.???
                        Besides, powdercoating not so good for plastic pieces, like grills or headlight bezels.
                        1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
                        1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
                        1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

Do you have an oven large enough that can hold trim pieces and never want to use for baking ever again.???
                          I wish! That's actually one reason I've not looked into powdercoading more seriously. The infrared curing gizmos are kind of expensive.
                          Besides, powdercoating not so good for plastic pieces, like grills or headlight bezels.
                          Right, hadn't thought of that. Plastic tends to melt at 400 degrees Farenheit.

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                            this guy had the idea i had for awile if i was gonna remove mine...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2508923

looks good with the moldingstill on the car!

I think it looks great! and that was one idea (of 2) I had for re-doing a woody wagon. The woody I have now is too far gone for me to put any time/money into cosmetically, but I WILL find another one that is solid and make it into a custom show wagon. The other idea I have was taking all of the trim off, painting the whole exterior (or leave the factory paint on if it's nice), airbrushing a wood-like look in place of the vinyl, and putting the trim back on. I think it would look slick because the whole thing would have a gloss finish.....

Last edited by Da Woody; 04-26-2007, 03:17 PM.

Comment

I like the stock look better....Painting woodgrain doesn't look like it'd be too bad to do. I am planning to refinsh my trim by painting the grain into it.

Comment

There is a product designed for painting faux woodgrain.
                                Its a spray can with a fiber type sponge in place of the spray nozzle. Find it at a home store like Lowes, or maybe KMart.
                                I bought one planning to use it for the "wood surround trim" on my '85 Country Squire.
                                Then an idiot hit the ass end & totaled the car.
                                My 'Mercury Colony Park has a chrome like trim, so I don't know how it would've turned out after a coat of clear.....
                                But its worth looking into.
                                Personally, I wouldn't remove the fake wood if its in good shape. Its distinctive and unique. And it hides imperfections.
                                You can still buy it, BTW. You have to buy an entire side from an auto refinishing supplier.
                                If its bad, the airbrushing idea sounds real good to me.
                                One of the chop/cut/pimp my ride shows did it.

Comment

Working...
                                X