No announcement yet.

Tailgate problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the gate shut and open properly? If it does, leave it alone. Adjusting those things is a horrible excersize in frustration.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
      im almost positive that you will need hinge bushings. can you lift up on the tailgate and feel play in the hinge?
      Hinges are servicable? That's somewhat surprising ... it's hard enough to get the things off the car in the first place!
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

they are servicable but, they are a massive pain in the ass

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

hi guys, need your help. my tailgate support cable (don't know how to call it right), which works, when you open tailgate in horizontal position is broken by rust and didn't works. and this is the problem to my tailgate door hinges, which are destroyed by this. as i think the repair of this part is impossible. and i have a question - how can i fix this deal? the best solution to this - to sell me a pair of cables, because my friend's colony park has the same problem. or i can go another way?
          '85 Colony Park LS

Comment

I'd look at trying to use regular bulk cable from the hardware store. The wagon tailgate cables are just held on with big bolts. You could see if it's possible to whittle up a bit of flat metal to replicate the original cable ends, or if there's enough room under the bolts (or room for longer bolts, possibly), you could probably use one of those channeled metal loops used for making nice, durable loops in the end of cables.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by game over View Post
              hi guys, need your help. my tailgate support cable (don't know how to call it right), which works, when you open tailgate in horizontal position is broken by rust and didn't works. and this is the problem to my tailgate door hinges, which are destroyed by this. as i think the repair of this part is impossible. and i have a question - how can i fix this deal? the best solution to this - to sell me a pair of cables, because my friend's colony park has the same problem. or i can go another way?
              I've just repaired mine.
              I got it off the car first and then clamped each end in a vice by the ring end. Then heated up the crimped part with an acetylene torch and pryed them open enough to pull the remains of the rusty cable out. Then bought some more wire cable from a haulage company and crimped it back in with my big vice!!

Hope this helps.
              Andy.
              www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Working...
              X